Finding A Second Solution For A DE Via Reduction Of Order

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a second solution to the given equation y''-4y'+4y=0 using the assumption y_{2}=u(x)*y_{1}. After substitution and simplification, it is found that u''e^{2x}=0, which can be reduced to w'=0 by setting w=u'. This leads to the solution y_{2}=(a x+b)e^{2x}, where a and b are any numbers except a is not 0. The conversation also mentions that y is also a solution when y'-2y=e^{2x}, which can be verified by substituting into the original equation.
Lancelot59
I'm given
[tex]y''-4y'+4y=0[/tex]
and there is a solution [tex]y_{1}=e^{2x}[/tex]
Using this I need to find a second solution.

Starting with the assumption:
[tex]y_{2}=u(x)*y_{1}[/tex]
Then:
[tex]y=ue^{2x}[/tex]
[tex]y'=2ue^{2x}+u'e^{2x}[/tex]
[tex]y''=4ue^{2x}+2u'e^{2x}+u''e^{2x}+2u'e^{2x}[/tex]

When I substitute back into the original equation, after doing the cancellation I wind up with:
[tex]u''e^{2x}=0[/tex]
Then using the following order reduction:
[tex]w=u'[/tex]
I get:
[tex]w'e^{2x}=0[/tex]
I'm not sure what to do next here. The example in my textbook had two terms, and they used an integrating factor. How can I go about solving this problem? The answer given in the book is:
[tex]y_{2}=e^{2x}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
so
w' e2x=0
reduces to
w'=0
which is easy to solve
the answer given is wrong it should be
y2=(a x+b)e2x
where a and b are any numbers except a is not 0

I actually found a silly algebra error, so there should be two terms. However the answer is even stranger. I'll talk to my prof about it, thanks for looking!

You were right the first time
w' e2x=0
reduces to
w'=0
notice when y is a solution so is y'-2y or conversely when
y'-2y=e2x
y is a solution of
y''-4y'+4=0

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
You were right the first time
w' e2x=0
reduces to
w'=0
notice when y is a solution so is y'-2y or conversely when
y'-2y=e2x
y is a solution of
y''-4y'+4=0

I guess that does work. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm not sure how though. You have that w'=0, but how do you then solve for y being e^2x?

Last edited:

1. What is the process for reducing the order of a differential equation (DE)?

The process for reducing the order of a DE involves substituting a new variable for the dependent variable and its derivatives, and then solving for the new variable. This results in a new equation with a lower order.

2. Why would someone want to find a second solution for a DE?

Finding a second solution for a DE can be helpful in obtaining a general solution that satisfies the initial conditions of the DE. It can also provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of the system described by the DE.

3. Can all DEs be solved using the reduction of order method?

No, not all DEs can be solved using the reduction of order method. It is only applicable to second-order linear DEs with constant coefficients.

4. What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution for a DE?

A general solution is a solution that satisfies the DE for all possible values of the independent variable. A particular solution, on the other hand, is a solution that satisfies the DE for specific values of the independent variable.

5. Are there any limitations to using the reduction of order method?

Yes, the reduction of order method can only be used to find a second solution for a DE if the first solution is already known. Additionally, it may not always result in a second solution even if the initial solution is known.