Finding a third plane that has a dihedral angle to two other planes.

In summary: No they don't. Think about the parallelogram rule for addition of vectors. The sum is the diagonal of the parallelogram. What has to be true about the two original vectors for that sum vector to bisect the angle between them?
user8899

Homework Statement

The acute angle between two planes is called the dihedral angle. Plane x−3y+2z=0 and plane 3x−2y−z+3=0 intersect in a line and form a dihedral angle θ . Find a third plane (in point-normal, i.e. component, form) through the point (-6/7,0,3/7) that has dihedral angle θ/2 with each of the original planes. Do the three planes intersect at a point or in a line? Explain all steps carefully.

Homework Equations

cosθ=|n1 (dot product) n2| /|n1||n2|,

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the dihedral angle of the first two planes to be 1/2, but then I'm not sure what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
user8899 said:

Homework Statement

The acute angle between two planes is called the dihedral angle. Plane x−3y+2z=0 and plane 3x−2y−z+3=0 intersect in a line and form a dihedral angle θ . Find a third plane (in point-normal, i.e. component, form) through the point (-6/7,0,3/7) that has dihedral angle θ/2 with each of the original planes. Do the three planes intersect at a point or in a line? Explain all steps carefully.

Homework Equations

cosθ=|n1 (dot product) n2| /|n1||n2|,

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the dihedral angle of the first two planes to be 1/2, but then I'm not sure what to do after that.

Don't you mean you found the cosine of the dihedral angle to be 1/2? Wouldn't your new plane bisect the dihedral angle? Can you get its normal from the given normals?

LCKurtz said:
Don't you mean you found the cosine of the dihedral angle to be 1/2? Wouldn't your new plane bisect the dihedral angle? Can you get its normal from the given normals?

Yes, that is what I meant. Do we add the two normals to get the third normal? I am really confused.

user8899 said:
Yes, that is what I meant. Do we add the two normals to get the third normal? I am really confused.

Think about it and draw some pictures. Say you have two vectors with their tails at the same place. Will their sum bisect the angle between them or do you have to have some condition on the vectors to make it happen?

LCKurtz said:
Think about it and draw some pictures. Say you have two vectors with their tails at the same place. Will their sum bisect the angle between them or do you have to have some condition on the vectors to make it happen?

No because the vectors have to be tip to tail to add up?

user8899 said:
No because the vectors have to be tip to tail to add up?

No they don't. Think about the parallelogram rule for addition of vectors. The sum is the diagonal of the parallelogram. What has to be true about the two original vectors for that sum vector to bisect the angle between them?

What is a dihedral angle?

A dihedral angle is the angle between two planes that intersect at a common line. It is measured in degrees and can range from 0° (when the planes are parallel) to 180° (when the planes are perpendicular).

Why is it important to find a third plane with a dihedral angle to two other planes?

Finding a third plane with a dihedral angle to two other planes can help determine the orientation and relationship between the three planes. This information is useful in many scientific fields, such as crystallography, aerodynamics, and structural engineering.

How do you calculate the dihedral angle between two planes?

The dihedral angle between two planes can be calculated using the dot product of the normal vectors of the planes. The formula is given as cos θ = (a · b) / (|a| |b|), where a and b are the normal vectors of the planes and θ is the dihedral angle.

Can a third plane have a dihedral angle to two other planes that is greater than 180 degrees?

No, a dihedral angle cannot be greater than 180 degrees. This is because the angle between two planes can only range from 0° to 180°, as mentioned earlier. If a third plane has a dihedral angle greater than 180 degrees, it is actually on the opposite side of one of the planes and the angle should be measured as the supplement of the calculated angle.

Are there any real-life applications of finding a third plane with a dihedral angle to two other planes?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of finding a third plane with a dihedral angle to two other planes. For example, in crystallography, determining the dihedral angles between crystal planes can help identify different crystal structures. In aerodynamics, understanding the dihedral angles of airplane wings can affect the stability and control of the aircraft. In structural engineering, the dihedral angles between building walls can determine the structural integrity of the building.