1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a value to get certain types of roots

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

With what value of g, the roots of [tex]s^2+s(1-g)+1[/tex] are in the left half-plane (e.g. [tex]s=-2 \pm 3i[/tex]) or single value in the imaginary axis (e.g. [tex]s= \pm i[/tex])

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]s= \frac{g-1 \pm \sqrt{g^2-2g-3}}{2}[/tex]. The roots are complex, if [tex]g^2-2g-3<0 \Rightarrow -1<g<3[/tex] and in the left half-plane or imaginary axis, if [tex]Re\left\{s\right\}= \frac{g-1}{2} \leq 0 \Rightarrow g=1[/tex].

The roots are real, when [tex]g \leq -1[/tex] or [tex]g \geq 3[/tex]. Negative, when [tex]g-1+ \sqrt{g^2-2g-3}<0[/tex] or [tex]g-1- \sqrt{g^2-2g-3}<0[/tex]. If [tex]g-1<- \sqrt{g^2-2g-3}[/tex] and I square both sides, then [tex]1<-3[/tex]. Here's where the troubles begin. I found out this holds true, when [tex]g \leq -1[/tex] by slapping small and big values to my calculator, but how can I re-arrange these equations to get it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The fact you can't solve for g by squaring mean |g-1| is never equal to sqrt(g^2-2g-3). Since you are working with g<=-1 and the sqrt is real that means one of them is always greater than the other one. In fact |g-1|>sqrt(g^2-2g-3). Another way to argue is to notice the product of the two roots is 1 (since that's the constant in the quadratic). So if both are real, they both have the same sign.

4. Mar 23, 2009 #3
    I followed you until here. Can you, please, explain in more detail how you arrived at this.

5. Mar 23, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I put in g=(-1) to figure out which one is larger.

6. Mar 23, 2009 #5
    Thank you, Dick! Seems like I'm having one of my "D'Oh" -days again... :tongue2:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook