How Do You Calculate Acceleration on an Inclined Plane with Friction?

In summary, the question is about a box on a board with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.4. The board is angled at 36.8699 degrees and the question asks for the coefficient of static friction. The equation gsinθ - ugcosθ = a can be used, but the last sentence mentioning the angle at which the box starts sliding may be causing confusion. The attempt at a solution involved plugging values into the equation, but the resulting answer did not match the teacher's solution. The question also raises the question of what type of friction applies once the box is moving.
alex_todd

Homework Statement

he question is:
A box is sitting on a board. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the board is 0.4. One side of the board is raised so that the board is 36.8699 degrees from horizontal. This is the angle that the box starts sliding.There are two parts to the question, I figured out part A (What is the coefficient of static friction between the box and the board?) by setting Mk equal to Tan and got .75

The part that throws me off about this equation is the last sentence " This is the angle that the box starts sliding"
I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for that, I would use the equation gsinθ - ugcosθ = a however I tried that and didn't get the right answer

Homework Equations

mgsinθ - umgcosθ = ma
gsinθ - ugcosθ = a
mk=tan theta

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging the values into the gsinθ - ugcosθ = a equation, I assumed I could just get rid of the mass variables because they'll all cancel out anyways
gsinθ - ugcosθ = a = 9.8sin(36.8999 degrees) - .75(9.8)cos(36.8999 degrees)
the answer I got doesn't my teachers solution of 2.744
I'm think the part that's throwing me off is "this is the angle that the box starts sliding)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi alex_todd, Welcome to Physics Forums!

alex_todd said:
I tried plugging the values into the gsinθ - ugcosθ = a equation, I assumed I could just get rid of the mass variables because they'll all cancel out anyways
gsinθ - ugcosθ = a = 9.8sin(36.8999 degrees) - .75(9.8)cos(36.8999 degrees)
the answer I got doesn't my teachers solution of 2.744
I'm think the part that's throwing me off is "this is the angle that the box starts sliding)
Once the box is moving, what type of friction applies?

What is acceleration and how is it measured?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while acceleration is the rate at which velocity changes over time. In other words, velocity tells us how fast and in what direction an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how much an object's velocity is changing.

What factors affect acceleration?

Acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the forces acting on an object (such as gravity or friction), the mass of the object, and the object's initial velocity. In general, the greater the net force on an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

How can I calculate acceleration from a velocity-time graph?

To calculate acceleration from a velocity-time graph, you can use the slope of the line. The slope represents the change in velocity over time, so the steeper the slope, the greater the acceleration. Alternatively, you can also use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where vf and vi are the final and initial velocities, respectively, and t is the change in time.

What are some real-life examples of acceleration?

Some common examples of acceleration in everyday life include a car speeding up or slowing down, a roller coaster going over a hill, a ball being thrown or kicked, and a plane taking off or landing. Essentially, any time an object's velocity changes, it is experiencing acceleration.