1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding acceleration given

1. Jun 1, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    he question is:
    A box is sitting on a board. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the board is 0.4. One side of the board is raised so that the board is 36.8699 degrees from horizontal. This is the angle that the box starts sliding.

There are two parts to the question, I figured out part A (What is the coefficient of static friction between the box and the board?) by setting Mk equal to Tan and got .75

The part that throws me off about this equation is the last sentence " This is the angle that the box starts sliding"
    I'm pretty sure that if it weren't for that, I would use the equation gsinθ - ugcosθ = a however I tried that and didn't get the right answer
    2. Relevant equations
    mgsinθ - umgcosθ = ma
    gsinθ - ugcosθ = a
    mk=tan theta

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried plugging the values into the gsinθ - ugcosθ = a equation, I assumed I could just get rid of the mass variables because they'll all cancel out anyways
    gsinθ - ugcosθ = a = 9.8sin(36.8999 degrees) - .75(9.8)cos(36.8999 degrees)
    the answer I got doesn't my teachers solution of 2.744
    I'm think the part that's throwing me off is "this is the angle that the box starts sliding)

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi alex_todd, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Once the box is moving, what type of friction applies?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted