Finding Acceleration of a cart. NEW

In summary, a grocery cart with a force of 450 N at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal and a mass of 42 kg has a force of friction of 3.8 x 10^2 N with a coefficient of friction of 0.6. To find the acceleration of the cart, the net force is calculated by subtracting the force of friction from the force applied, which is determined by multiplying the initial force by cosine of 30 degrees. The net force is then divided by the mass of the cart and groceries to find the acceleration. However, the given answer may be incorrect and further explanation is needed.
rum2563

Homework Statement

A grocery cart is being pushed with a force of 450 N at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal. If the mass of the cart and the groceries is 42 kg:
a) Find force of friction if coefficient of friction is 0.6
b) Find acceleration of cart.

Homework Equations

Ff=uFnormal
F=ma
Fn=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out part A and I got 3.8 X 10^2 N as force of friction.

For part B, I tried to find force applied.
Fa = 450 N X cos30 degrees
= 389.7 N

and then find net force:

Fnet = 389.7 - (3.8 X 10^2)
= 9.7

and then find acceleration:

a = 9.7 / 42
= 0.23

But the answer is wrong and I checked from my book. Can someone tell me if I am right on part B of this question. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
it is so much easier if you post the math that got you to the answer,
assuming the force is downward on the cart,
N=mg+f*sin 30 so N=.5*450+mg=9.8*42+225=636.6
can you do it from here?

But I don't understand what to do with 636.6. I actually did that before but then I thought that's wrong since the number is too big.

I am guessing that probably I subtract 450 from 636 to get net force. But I am too confused. Can you please help more? Thanks.

sure. but let's make certain you understand the first part:

friction resists motion, but it only dependent on the force pushing the objects into contact. that force is the Normal or perpendicular force. So if we have a weight of 10okg*g, the normal force directed straight up is 980N. When we multiply this by the coefficient of friction, it is now a horizontal resistance of magnitude say .6*980.

Last edited:
hi. I'm currently doing this question too.
but for some reason i am not getting part A. could you explain what you did to get 3.8 x 10^2 N?
what i did was:
Fn=mg
Fn=(42kg) (9.81m/s^2)
Fn=412.02N
Ff=0.6(412.02N)
Ff=247.212N

my answer is no near to the book's answer. what am i doing wrong?!
please help me

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you find the acceleration of a cart?

To find the acceleration of a cart, you need to measure its change in velocity over a specific time interval. This can be done by using a motion sensor or by recording the cart's position at different times and calculating the velocity from those values.

What is the formula for finding acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What units is acceleration measured in?

The SI unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s^2). Other common units include centimeters per second squared (cm/s^2) and kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2).

Why is finding acceleration important?

Finding acceleration is important in physics and engineering because it helps us understand how objects move and change their motion. It is also a key factor in calculating forces and predicting the future motion of objects.