Finding accleration of object after collision

In summary, the problem involves two basketball players colliding, with player 1 having a mass of 55.0 kg and experiencing a -15.6 m/s2 acceleration. Using Newton's Third Law and knowing the net force on player 1, we can find the force exerted by player 2 on player 1. This force can then be used to calculate the acceleration of player 2, which is found to be -17.6 m/s^2.
Adam17
1. Two basketball players collide. Player 1, with a mass of 55.0 kg, experiences a -15.6 m/s2 acceleration. If player 2 has a mass of 48.5 kg, what acceleration did he experience immediately following the collision?

Homework Equations

F=ma

I am doing a correspondance course and I don't understand how to figure this out... don't need a solution but just directions on how to solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF,

You know the net force on player 1, because you know his mass, and you know his acceleration. (See Newton's 2nd law).

Now apply Newton's Third law to the problem. What does it say is the relationship between the force on player 1 due to player 2 (which you know), and the force on player 2 due to player 1 (which you need to know)?

Ok thanks for your help. Glad I found this forum though or else Id have to wait till monday to talk to my teacher and I need this course done asap.

So this is what I got and I am confident that it is correct, however I am unsure about the negative. Would the force that I calculated from player 1 be in the same direction as the acceleration
?(away from the collision) Making the Force applied to player 2 positive?

F=ma
Fp1=55(-15.6)
Fp1=-858

A=f/m
Ap2=-858/48.5
Ap2=-17.6m/s^2

The negative force is the force player 2 exerts on player 1, not the force player 1 exerts on player 2.

Last edited:
Xisune said:
The negative force the force player 2 exerts on player 1, not the force player 1 exerts on player 2.

Ohhhh right. Thanks Xisune.

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object after a collision?

The acceleration of an object after a collision can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time taken for the collision to occur.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of an object after a collision?

The acceleration of an object after a collision is affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and direction of the colliding objects, as well as the type of collision (elastic or inelastic).

3. How does the type of collision affect the acceleration of objects?

The type of collision (elastic or inelastic) affects the acceleration of objects as it determines whether or not kinetic energy is conserved during the collision. In an elastic collision, kinetic energy is conserved, resulting in a greater acceleration compared to an inelastic collision where some kinetic energy is lost.

4. Can the acceleration of an object after a collision be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of an object after a collision can be negative. This indicates that the object is decelerating, or slowing down, after the collision. This could happen if the colliding objects have opposite directions of motion and the final velocity is in the opposite direction of the initial velocity.

5. How can the acceleration of objects after a collision be used in real-life situations?

The concept of acceleration after a collision is important in understanding the behavior of objects in car crashes, sports collisions, and other impact events. It can also be used in engineering to design safer vehicles and protective equipment, as well as in forensic analysis to determine the cause of accidents.