Finding area given definite integral

In summary, the conversation discusses the area of a trapezoid and the confusion surrounding the use of 2a and 2b in the equation. The correct formula for the area of a trapezoid is (a+b)h/2, not (a+b/2)h. The use of 2a and 2b is related to the 2s function and integral laws. The correct integration of 2x yields the result of b^2-a^2. It is important to follow the correct homework template when seeking help on Physics Forums.
grace77
Question :
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/71328

My question is how did the 2a and 2b come from??
Equations:
Area of trapezoid =(a+b/2)(h)
Attempt:
I know that the area of a trapezoid is (a+b/2)(h)
However why is there now a 2a and 2b in its place? Could it be related to the 2s function??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hope this helps

ba 2s ds = [s2]ba
this then becomes (b2-a2)

its just integral laws

Beats me.

We have a homework template here at PF that we ask users to fill out when asking for HW help. It helps save time for the user to provide complete information about the problem and the user's attempt at solution

Please review the rules in this post about posting HW problems correctly:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=617567

I'm pretty sure the this is what you're looking for:
$$ \int ^{b}_{a}2xdx=\left[ x^{2}\right] ^{b}_{a}=b^{2}-a^{2} $$~| FilupSmith |~

I cannot see the attachment. If your trapezoid has parallel sides of length a and b and height h, its area is NOT (a+ b/2)h. It is (a+ b)h/2 or ((a+ b)/2)h.

1. How do you find the area given a definite integral?

To find the area given a definite integral, you first need to identify the limits of integration and the function being integrated. Then, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the integral and find the area under the curve.

2. What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. In other words, a definite integral calculates the area under a specific portion of a curve, while an indefinite integral finds the general antiderivative of a function.

3. Can you use a definite integral to find the area between two curves?

Yes, you can use a definite integral to find the area between two curves by setting up the integral with the upper and lower curves as the limits of integration. This will give you the difference between the two areas under the curves.

4. What happens if the function being integrated is negative?

If the function being integrated is negative, the definite integral will give you the area under the curve but with a negative sign. This indicates that the area is below the x-axis and can be thought of as a negative area.

5. Is it possible for the area given by a definite integral to be negative?

Yes, it is possible for the area given by a definite integral to be negative if the function being integrated is negative and the limits of integration are such that the area under the curve is below the x-axis. This negative area can also represent the difference between two curves, as mentioned in question 3.