1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Average Value of function

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the average value of the function g(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 on the region x^2 + 2xy + 2y^2 -4y =8

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

so far, I complete the square of the region that we want to find average value, x^2 + 2xy + 2y^2 -4y =8. And after completed the square I got, (x+y)^2 + (y-2)^2 = 12. Then I let u = x+y, v = y-2, therefore, i got u^2 + v^2 = 12, which is just a circle with radius 2sqrt3. Then I solve for x and y to plug it into the original function, x = u-v-2, y = v + 2.
    After that, I plug it into g(x,y), which I then have, [int][int] (u-v-2)^2 + (v+2)^2, integrate from theta = 0 to 2pi, and r = 0 to 2sqrt3, using polar coordinate. Is the way i did on this problem right so far? I'm not exactly sure of myself.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2007 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The region of integration is one-dimensional. Justthe circle, not the interior, so there's no need for a double integral.

4. Nov 12, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Good point about the one-dimensionality, but that's not a circle, it's a hyperbola. A circle would never have an "xy" term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?