1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding B field within solenoid.

1. Apr 18, 2012 #1
    A current balance is constructed to measure the force between a solenoid with n=10000turns per length and a straight wire segment of length l=0.05m inside the solenoid and perpendicular to the field. The current through both the solenoid and wire segment is I=14A. What is the B field inside the solenoid?

B = μonI (solenoid)

B = (μoI)/(2∏r) (straight wire)

I've gone over notes and the chapter, but seeing as I'm still struggling, would like some insight.

Drawing a diagram, on xy-plane I drew the solenoid on x-plane and since it says the wire is perpendicular to it, it is on the y-plane cutting across the solenoid.

My first attempt was to simply use the equations stated above and plug in the numbers:
    μonI = (4∏ x 10^-7)*(10,000/0.05)*(14) = 3.52
    Obviously wrong since it doesn't involve the straight wire segment.

Trying to use the equation for straight wire is of no use because of the r which I don't seem to have.

I go back to my drawing, RH rule suggests the wire has B field curling around it, while next to it, the solenoid's B field which loops around is there. Showing how little I know but my next thought was to add the two B fields, answer not different from first attempt. This is where I'm stuck.

Besides missing the concept, am I missing something obvious, or am I going to get the response of going to the book once again...

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2012 #2
    Not even one tiny help? I'm not even looking for much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook