1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding basis for null(A) and null(AP)

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A is a mxn matrix, and P is an invertible nxn matrix.

So I want to prove that the bases of null(A) and null(AP) have the same number of elements.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was going to start off by assuming that {X1, X2, ... Xm} is a basis of null(A). This is my first issue. Can I really just assume that?

So AXi = 0, following the definition of null space. Then V-1Xi is in null(AV), since AV(V-1Xi) = 0. Somehow I need to get from that to the fact that {V-1X1, V-1X2, ... V-1Xm} is independent. But how?

I can prove that {V-1X1, V-1X2, ... V-1Xm} spans null(A), I just need to know that it's independent for it to be a basis. And if it is, then it has m elements and so does null(A)'s basis.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, null(A) is a vector space and every vector space has a basis.

Where did "V" come from? There was no mention of V before. Did you mean P?

I can prove that {V-1X1, V-1X2, ... V-1Xm} spans null(A), I just need to know that it's independent for it to be a basis. And if it is, then it has m elements and so does null(A)'s basis.[/QUOTE]
    Proof by contradiction: Suppose [itex]\{P^{-1}X1, P^{-1}X2, ..., P^{-1}Xm}[/itex] is NOT independent. Then there exist numbers [itex]a_1, a_2, ..., a_m[/itex], not all 0, such that [itex]a_1P^{-1}X1+ a_2P^{-1}X2+ ...+ a_mP^{-1}Xm= 0[/itex]. Since P, and so [itex]P^{-1}[/itex], is a linear tranformation, that is the same as [itex]P^{-1}a_1X1+ a_2P^{-1}X2+ ...a_mP^{-1}Xm= P^{-1}(a_1X1+ a_2X2+ ...+ a_mXm)= 0[/itex]. Now take P of both sides.

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    I'm confused about where the contradiction is.

Taking P of both sides, you'd end up with PP-1{a1X1 + a2X2 + ... amXm} = P0

Then {a1X1 + a2X2 + ... + amXm) = 0

Doesn't that support the initial assumption? How do you know that a1, a2, ... am above aren't all zero?

EDIT: I think I just figured it out. Because a1X1 + a2X2... was my first basis, it has to be independent. Correct?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook