1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding capacitance/dimensional analysis

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    Two 2cm x 2cm square aluminum electrodes are spaced 0.50 mm apart. The electrodes are connected to a 100 V battery. What is the capacitance?

Ok, C = Q/V = epsilon_o*A / (d)

I used 0.02^2 for A (is that correct, or do I use the area of BOTH plates?), plugged in 0.00050m for d and the value for epsilon, and I got an answer that was on the order of 10^-12, and I know the answer is in picofarads, so that looked promising. However, when I did dimensional analysis, I couldn't make sense of the units I get from this calculation.

So, am I crunching the numbers correctly, and if so (and in any case), can someone clarify how the units work out? Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2010 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[tex][\epsilon]= \frac{As}{Vm}; [A]=m^2; [d]=m; \frac{[\epsilon][A]}{[d]}=\frac{Asm^2}{Vm^2}=\frac{As}{V}=\frac{C}{V}=F[/tex]

All the variables inside square brackets [] denote the values, while all the variables outside the square brackets are the units (A=ampere, V=volt, m=meter, s=second, C=coulomb, F=farad)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook