1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find capacitance and charge of two aluminum electrodes

1. May 13, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two 3.0-cm-diameter aluminum electrodes are spaced 0.50 mm apart. The electrodes are connected to a 200 V battery. Find the capacitance of one of the spheres.

2. Relevant equations

C=QV
    C=ε0A/d

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really not sure how to approach this problem. I tried solving the problem for the area of the sphere inserted into the formula, and when that turned out wrong, I then tried the volume, but the answers are not correct. I know that the formula C=ε0A/d is for a parallel plate capacitor, so I'm pretty sure I can't use it as is because I'm dealing with spheres, but I don't know where to start.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2017 #2
    does it have something to do with the electric field of a sphere E=Q/4πε0?

4. May 14, 2017 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If there are two spherical shells of practically equal radii R then you can argue that this is essentially a parallel-plate capacitor with plate area = 4πR2 and separation 0.5 mm. In fact, the answer is very accurate since there are no fringing effects as in parallel-plate capacitors.

The problem is poorly worded so I'm guessing as to the two shells. Capacitance is for both shells, not just one ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted