Finding change in pressure when mercury level drops

In summary, the homework statement is that pressure = h(density in kg/m^3) (gravitational acceleration).
confusedperson
I don't know what I did wrong for this question, but I assume something is wrong as my solution is extremely simple and this is a 20 marks question...
1. Homework Statement

Refer to uploaded image.

Homework Equations

Pressure = h ( density in kg/m^3 ) ( gravitational acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

Pressure change at A = -0.04 ( 13600 ) ( 9.81 )[/B]
Final gauge pressure = 150.3kPa - 0.04 (13600) (9.81) - 1.025 * 10^5 Pa

Attachments

• weird question.jpg
    weird question.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 434
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi conf,

You want to make a real balance equation and take the density of water into account as well...

Likes confusedperson and mfb
Sorry I do not understand what is the real balance equation...

4 cm of Hg took the place of 4 cm of water. That 4 cm of water exercised a pressure as well

Thank you. I'm not entirely sure how that works but I assume I have to add 4cm of water back into the final gauge pressure?

And don't forget the 4 cm of mercury that were there. The mercury level changes on both sides, the water level changes on one side.

Likes confusedperson
Huh. That was not expected...I simply have not come across a problem of this type before. There goes at least 10 marks for my final exam. However, lesson learnt. Thank you guys for enlightening me on this new knowledge.

That's the idea.
mfb said:
And don't forget the 4 cm of mercury that were there. The mercury level changes on both sides, the water level changes on one side.
I thought he/she did take the Hg, but only forgot the water ? So with (13600 - 1000) instead of just 13600 kg/m3 it would have been alright ?

BvU said:
I thought he/she did take the Hg, but only forgot the water ? So with (13600 - 1000) instead of just 13600 kg/m3 it would have been alright ?
@mfb is pointing out that if the level of Hg on the right drops by x then the level on the left rises by x, so the difference in heights drops by 2x. The pressure exerted comes from the height difference.

Likes mfb
Oh boy, have I been sleeping o:) o:) ! Fixed on the water :smile: Thanks for the wake-up call ! But nevertheless I'm off to bed.:sleep:

1. How does the mercury level dropping affect pressure?

When the mercury level drops, it creates more space in the closed container, resulting in a decrease in pressure. This is because there is less mercury exerting downward force on the container.

2. Why does the mercury level drop in a barometer?

The mercury level drops in a barometer because of changes in atmospheric pressure. When the atmospheric pressure decreases, it creates less force on the surface of the mercury, causing it to drop in the tube.

3. What causes the atmospheric pressure to change?

The atmospheric pressure can change due to various factors such as weather patterns, altitude, and temperature. For example, when a low-pressure system moves in, it can cause a drop in atmospheric pressure.

4. Is there a relationship between the amount of mercury in a barometer and the change in pressure?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the amount of mercury in a barometer and the change in pressure. As the amount of mercury in the tube decreases, the pressure also decreases.

5. How can we calculate the change in pressure when the mercury level drops?

The change in pressure can be calculated using the equation P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of mercury, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the mercury column. By measuring the original and final heights of the mercury column, we can determine the change in pressure.