Finding coefficient of friction by conservation of energy

In summary, a 20 Kg. mass slides up an infinitely long inclined plane with a velocity of 12 m/s and returns to the starting point with a velocity of 6 m/s. The coefficient of friction between the plane and the body, μ, can be found by writing the work-energy theorem separately for the up and down motion and eliminating the unknown distance. The work of non-conservative forces, such as friction and gravitation, is responsible for the variation of kinetic energy. By solving for μ, we obtain a value of 0.34.
Phyba
A 20 Kg. mass slides up on an infinitely long inclined plane (that forms an angle of 30º with the horizontal) with a velocity of 12 m/s. It's known that the mass returns to the starting point with a velocity of 6 m/s. Find,μ, the coefficient of friction between the plane and the body.

This is the problem I'm struggling with. By the mechanical energy conservation principle I know that the work done by the friction force is the increment in kinetic energy. But, how can I relate that to Newton's equation to find μ.

I thought, since the frinction force is μ*mgcos30, we can say

μ*s*mgcos30 = ΔKinetic energy

where s is the distance, but we don't even know the distance! :confused:

Thanks in advance, I'm new here! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :)

So you found that work-energy theorem does not help here.
Try to write the work-energy theorem for the up motion and for the down motion. Separately.
Then you will be able to eliminate the unknown distance.

Thanks, Nasu. So I now write the work-energy theorem for the up and the down motion separately:

up motion:
lim2.png

down motion:
lim.png

But I can't solve for any of the unknown variables s and μ with these two equations.. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
I should point out that you're not using Conservation of energy.In fact energy is not conserved when you have dissipation.
But for solving the problem,when the mass is sliding upward,there are two forces,friction and gravitation.You can find where the speed becomes zero.you also can write the equations of motion for the part that the mass is sliding downward and because you have the final velocity,you can find where the velocity was zero.This place is the same as the place you found before so you have two equations with two unknowns which can be solved easily.

Thanks Shyan, I have a doubt: what I'm trying to apply is that the work of non.conservative forces is the variation of kinetic energy. So, why should I add gravitation to my equation if gravitation is a conservative and is not responsible of the variation of KE?

Phyba said:
Thanks Shyan, I have a doubt: what I'm trying to apply is that the work of non.conservative forces is the variation of kinetic energy. So, why should I add gravitation to my equation if gravitation is a conservative and is not responsible of the variation of KE?
Every force acting on a particle,is able to do work on it,whether conservative or not!

Likes 1 person
Phyba said:

This is not true.
The variation of kinetic energy is the work of all forces.

Likes 1 person
Thank you very much, you two! I got confused because of how I tried to solve it at first. I did it and obtained μ=0.34, which makes a lot of sense. Your help was very useful!

Solved

I'm uploading the solution (although it's a simple problem), in case somebody that got stuck with something similar finds it useful in the future.

img094.jpg

:) This forum is awesome

1. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless number that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is a measure of how difficult it is to slide or move one surface over the other.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force between two surfaces. This can be done experimentally by measuring the force required to move one surface over the other and the weight or normal force of the object.

3. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant over time. Energy can change forms, but it cannot be created or destroyed.

4. How is the coefficient of friction determined using conservation of energy?

The coefficient of friction can be determined using the conservation of energy principle by measuring the initial potential energy of an object at rest on a surface and then measuring the distance it travels after being released. By equating the initial potential energy to the final kinetic energy, the coefficient of friction can be calculated.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the coefficient of friction by conservation of energy?

Finding the coefficient of friction by conservation of energy has many practical applications in everyday life. It is used in designing braking systems for vehicles, determining the ideal surface for sports such as ice skating or skiing, and in determining the optimal materials for tires or shoe soles for maximum grip and traction.