Finding combined amplitude of out of phase waves

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 7K views
novafx
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



"Two waves are traveling in the same direction along a stretched string. The waves are 30.0° out of phase. Each wave has an amplitude of 4.00 cm. Find the amplitude of the resultant wave."

Homework Equations



y(x,t) = Asin(kx - [tex]\omega[/tex]t)

The Attempt at a Solution



Assuming that both waves are sinusoidal, I'm just summing up the two waves as follows:

(4.00 cm)sin(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t) + (4.00 cm)sin(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t + 30)

but I'm not sure how to find a numerical amplitude with this. Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
novafx said:

Homework Statement



"Two waves are traveling in the same direction along a stretched string. The waves are 30.0° out of phase. Each wave has an amplitude of 4.00 cm. Find the amplitude of the resultant wave."

Homework Equations



y(x,t) = Asin(kx - [tex]\omega[/tex]t)

The Attempt at a Solution



Assuming that both waves are sinusoidal, I'm just summing up the two waves as follows:

(4.00 cm)sin(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t) + (4.00 cm)sin(kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t + 30)

but I'm not sure how to find a numerical amplitude with this. Thanks for the help.

Look up the trig identity for sina + sinb.
 
kuruman said:
Look up the trig identity for sina + sinb.

And don't forget to use radians to measure the angle, just to make things a bit more consistent.
 
Last edited:
So what do I do with the variables "kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t"? They're not given in the problem.
 
novafx said:
So what do I do with the variables "kx-[tex]\omega[/tex]t"? They're not given in the problem.

You are only asked about the amplitude of the resultant wave. The rest is irrelevant.