Finding coordinates along an arc, given arc length

In summary: So in summary, to find the coordinates of a point on an arc with given radius, beginning coordinates, and arc length, you can use the known radius and arc length to calculate the angle between them. Then use the proportionality of arc length to angle to find the angle to the desired point. Finally, use polar coordinates at the beginning coordinates to find the x and y coordinates of the point.
jjj888

Homework Statement

Find coordinates of a piont on an arc from beginning coordinates at the arc distance of 6.6821. Given Radius of 25 at (100,100), Begining coordinates at (125,100), Ending Coordinates at (115.6994,119.6301), with an overall arc length of 22.4472.

Homework Equations

Newton's method, maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can think of a way to do it with trig, finding the chords between the end points and the length to the desired point then using the cosign law to find my angles, but I tried drawing this up in CAD as a check and my answer didn't match exactly. I can't figure out how to set it up using calculus methods.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the significance of the "Ending Coordinates" data.

You can convert arc length to a radian measure of an angle theta between two radii that go to the ends of the arc.

If a circle has center at point (Cx,Cy) and point (Px,Py) is on it then the radius drawn to (Px,Py) makes some angle phi with x_axis ( and also with a horizontal line drawn through (Cx,Cy)) You can find phi. The end of the arc is on a radius that makes angle (phi + theta) with that line. So you can find it's coordinates.

The problem will be simpler to visualize if you convert to a coordinate system where the center of the origin is at (0,0). This amounts to subtracting the coordinates of the circle from the given coordinate data and then adding them back after you find the answer.

jjj888 said:

Homework Statement

Find coordinates of a piont on an arc from beginning coordinates at the arc distance of 6.6821. Given Radius of 25 at (100,100), Begining coordinates at (125,100), Ending Coordinates at (115.6994,119.6301), with an overall arc length of 22.4472.

Homework Equations

Newton's method, maybe?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can think of a way to do it with trig, finding the chords between the end points and the length to the desired point then using the cosign law to find my angles, but I tried drawing this up in CAD as a check and my answer didn't match exactly. I can't figure out how to set it up using calculus methods.

You don't need much calculus. You know the radius and arc length to the second point so you can calculate the angle between by s = rθ. Then you can use the fact that the arc length is proportional to the angle to calculate the angle β to your other point.

Then just use polar coordinates at (100,100) to get the x and y coordinates.

What is the formula for finding coordinates along an arc given the arc length?

The formula for finding coordinates along an arc given the arc length is:
x = r * cos(θ)
y = r * sin(θ)
Where r is the radius of the circle and θ is the central angle in radians.

What units should the arc length be in when using the formula?

The arc length should be in the same units as the radius of the circle.
For example, if the radius is in meters, then the arc length should also be in meters.

Can the formula be used for any size of arc?

Yes, the formula can be used for any size of arc as long as the arc length and radius are in the same units.

How many coordinates can be found along an arc?

There are an infinite number of coordinates that can be found along an arc, as the arc is continuous and can have any length.

Can this formula be used to find coordinates on a curved line that is not a perfect circle?

No, this formula can only be used to find coordinates on a circular arc. For other curved lines, different formulas or methods would need to be used.