Find Arc Length of Particle Moving on Curve

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Cassi
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the length of the path traced out by a particle moving on a curve according to the given equation during the time interval specified in each case.

The equation is r(t) = a(cos t + t sin t)i + a(sin t - t Cos t)j, 0</=t</=2pi, a>0

Homework Equations



Arc length = interval (r'(t)dt)

The Attempt at a Solution



I found the derviative of r(t) to be r'(t) = cost + tsint +atcost +sintt -tcost +atsint
Integrating this from 0->2pi I keep getting 0 because it is subtracting itself. The answer is supposed to be 2pi2a. What am I doing wrong?[/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
##\vec{r}(t)## is a vector as is its derivative. You can't simply erase the ##\hat{i}## and ##\hat{j}##.
 
And the formula for arc length (integral, not interval) is incorrect. The integrand is ##|\vec r'(t)|##.