Finding ∫cos^2 x Using cos x cos y = 1/2(cos(x+y)+cos(x-y))

  • Thread starter Thread starter jackscholar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
jackscholar
Messages
73
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I need to find ∫cos^2 x using cos x cos y = 1/2(cos(x+y)+cos(x-y)). Note that it is not cos to the power of 2x. It is cos to the power of 2 multiplied by x.


Homework Equations



cos x cos y = 1/2(cos(x+y)+cos(x-y))


The Attempt at a Solution



I've searched my textbook and online everywhere, but my teacher hasn't given me any guidance. All I can think of is somehow converting cos x cos y = 1/2(cos(x+y)+cos(x-y)) to cos2x so I can then use a general formula/rule. Any help is highly appreciated.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jackscholar said:

Homework Statement


I need to find ∫cos^2x using cosxcosy=1/2(cos(x+y)+cos(x-y))
note that it is not cos to the power of 2x, it is cos to the power of 2 multiplied by x.
Minor nitpick, but one does not say "multiplied" here. You read it as "cosine squared of x."

jackscholar said:
I've searched my textbook and online everywhere but my teacher hasn't given me any guidance. All I can think of is somehow converting cosxcosy=1/2(cos(x+y)+cos(x-y)) to cos2x so I can then use a general formula/rule. Any help is highly appreciated.
If you are saying that
[itex]\cos x \cos y = ... = \cos 2x[/itex],
after you plug in x for y, that's not right. It should be
[itex]\cos x \cos y = ... = \frac{1 + \cos 2x}{2}[/itex].
 
By, after you plug in x for y, do you mean to say that you change cosxcosy to cosxcosx in order to satisfy cosine squared of x?
 
jackscholar said:
By, after you plug in x for y, do you mean to say that you change cosxcosy to cosxcosx in order to satisfy cosine squared of x?

Yes.