Finding critical numbers of trig function

In summary, the critical numbers for the function f(θ) = 2cosθ + sin^(2) θ are θ = nπ, where n is an integer. This is because the derivative of the function is -2sinθ(1 - cosθ), which is equal to zero when sinθ = 0, or when θ = nπ.
TsAmE

Homework Statement

Find the critical numbers of the function:

f(θ) = 2cosθ + sin^(2) θ

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I differentiated the equation and got -2sinθ(1 - cosθ) and found the critical values to be θ = 0 degrees + 2pie * n but the correct answer was npie. Why is this?

Physics news on Phys.org
When is -2sinθ(1 - cosθ) equal to zero according to you? (check again I mean)

cosθ = 1 when x = 0 + 2npie, n E Z
-2sinθ = 0 when x = 0 + 2npie, n E Z

Edit: Corrected an error I made.
cosθ = 1 for x = n*2pi
sinθ = 0 for x = ..., -2pi, - pi, 0, pi, 2pi, 3pi, ...

Last edited:
No Mark! cosθ = 1 for θ = n*2pi, so you are correct TsAmE.
but you indeed made an error with the sinus:

sin(x)= 0 for x = n*pi

justsof said:
sin(x)= 0 for x = n*pi

Why does sinx have the same value every pie (180 degrees)? Doesnt it only repeat every 2pie since it is its period?

justsof said:
No Mark! cosθ = 1 for θ = n*2pi, so you are correct TsAmE.
Right. I don't know what I was thinking. I have edited my earlier reply.
justsof said:
but you indeed made an error with the sinus:

sin(x)= 0 for x = n*pi

TsAmE said:
Why does sinx have the same value every pie (180 degrees)? Doesnt it only repeat every 2pie since it is its period?
The graphs of y = cosx and y = sinx are periodic with period 2pi, but both cross the horizontal axis at multiples of pi. But that doesn't mean that the period of each is pi. For periodicity, f(x + p) = f(x) for all x, not just a select few values.

Mark44 said:
The graphs of y = cosx and y = sinx are periodic with period 2pi, but both cross the horizontal axis at multiples of pi. But that doesn't mean that the period of each is pi. For periodicity, f(x + p) = f(x) for all x, not just a select few values.

What do you mean by f(x + p) = f(x) and what is your f(x). What if my critical number was t = pie/6 OR t = -pie/2, would the critical values be at pie/6 + npie OR t = -pie/2 + npie?

Last edited:
That's the definition of periodicity. If a function f satisfies f(x + p) = f(x) for all x, f is periodic with period p.

The cosine and sine functions are periodic with period 2pi. BTW, pie is something you eat. Pi is the name of the Greek letter [itex]\pi[/itex]. If you want to appear intelligent, don't write pie when you mean pi.

If your critical number was t = pi/6 for the cosine or sine function, then pi/6 + n(2pi) would also be a critical number.

Mark44 said:
That's the definition of periodicity. If a function f satisfies f(x + p) = f(x) for all x, f is periodic with period p.

The cosine and sine functions are periodic with period 2pi. BTW, pie is something you eat. Pi is the name of the Greek letter [itex]\pi[/itex]. If you want to appear intelligent, don't write pie when you mean pi.

If your critical number was t = pi/6 for the cosine or sine function, then pi/6 + n(2pi) would also be a critical number.

Lol I didnt even notice that I wrote pie. So the only time that you add "n(pi)" to the period is when sinx or cosx = 0, and for any other values you would instead add "2n(pi)"?

Are there any other special cases where you wouldn't say "+ 2n(pi)"?

No, not for the sine and cosine functions.

1. What is the definition of critical numbers for trigonometric functions?

Critical numbers for trigonometric functions are the values of x where the first derivative of the function is equal to 0 or undefined. These values are also known as stationary points or turning points.

2. How do you find the critical numbers of a trigonometric function?

To find the critical numbers of a trigonometric function, you need to take the first derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Solve for x to find the critical numbers. You can also check for any values of x that would make the first derivative undefined.

3. Why are critical numbers important for trigonometric functions?

Critical numbers are important for trigonometric functions because they can help determine the maximum and minimum points on a graph. They can also help identify where the function is increasing or decreasing.

4. Can a trigonometric function have more than one critical number?

Yes, a trigonometric function can have more than one critical number. This can happen when the first derivative of the function has more than one value that is equal to 0 or undefined.

5. Do all critical numbers of a trigonometric function appear on the graph?

No, not all critical numbers of a trigonometric function will appear on the graph. Critical numbers that are also maximum or minimum points will appear on the graph, but critical numbers that are just points where the function changes from increasing to decreasing or vice versa may not be visible on the graph.