1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Critical Points and Local Extrema of a Multivariable Function

1. Feb 20, 2006 #1
    For f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 + 3xy I need to find the critical points and prove whether or not they are local minima, maxima or saddle points. I thought the only critical point was (0,0) since Df = (2x + 3y, 2y + 3x) = 0. Doesn't this make (0,0) a local min? The reason I doubt this now is because upon constructing the Hessian matrix and finding the eigenvalues, I got lambda = 5 and -1 (which would show that the point is a saddle point). Can someone please help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Why are you finding the eigenvalues? What you want to do with the Hessian is find the determinant. The point is a local minimum.

4. Feb 20, 2006 #3
    For the problem I am also supposed to find the eigenvalues of the Hessian. Anyway, I think the Hessian is 2 3,3 2 (first row, second row) which makes the determinant 4-9 or -5. This means the det(Hf(x,y)) < 0, which makes the critical point a saddle (second derivative test for local extrema). Is it really a local min?

5. Feb 20, 2006 #4

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

No, I am wrong, you are right. It's a saddle point.

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5

benorin

Homework Helper

Notice that [tex]f(x,y)=x^2 + y^2 + 3xy =(x+y)^2+xy[/tex]

so apply the change of variables:

[tex] u=x+y, v=x-y [/tex]

which has as its inverse

[tex]x=\frac{1}{2}(u+v),y=\frac{1}{2}(u-v)[/tex]

to get

[tex]f\left( \frac{1}{2}(u+v), \frac{1}{2}(u-v)\right) =u^2+\frac{1}{4}(u+v)(u-v) = \frac{5}{4}u^2-\frac{1}{4}v^2 [/tex]

which clearly has no extrema (neither local nor global) and the only ciritical point is the saddle point u=v=0, this corresponds to x=y=0 which is likewise a saddle point for the Jacobian of the transformation is

[tex]J = \left| \frac{\partial (u,v)}{\partial (x,y)}\right| = \left| \begin{array}{cc} \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}&\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}\\ \frac{\partial v}{\partial x}&\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}\end{array}\right| = \left| \begin{array}{cc} 1&1\\ 1&-1\end{array}\right| = 1\cdot 1 - 1\cdot (-1) = 2[/tex]

and the transformation is then just a rotation and a contraction of the old variables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?