Finding critical points of functions of two variables

In summary, a critical point of a function of two variables is a point at which both partial derivatives are equal to zero, indicating no slope in any direction. To find critical points, you solve for the variables after setting both partial derivatives to zero. These points are important in optimizing the function as they represent potential maximum or minimum values. A function can have multiple critical points, which can be local maximums, local minimums, or saddle points. The type of critical point can be determined by evaluating the second partial derivatives at that point.
th4m4ster
Hey,

I have trouble finding the critical points for this function:

z = f(s,t) = (1+s)(1+t)(s+t)

I get that
s' = (1+t) (t+2s+1) = 0
t' = (1+s) (s+2t+1) = 0

So t= -1 and s= -1 is a C.P.

How do i solve for the others?

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hey th4m4ster! welcome to pf! :smile:
th4m4ster said:
s' = (1+t) (t+2s+1) = 0
t' = (1+s) (s+2t+1) = 0

(you meant ∂z/∂s and ∂z/∂t, not s' and t' :wink:)

solve for (1+t) = 0 and (s+2t+1) = 0,

and for the other two combinations :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hey th4m4ster! welcome to pf! :smile:

(you meant ∂z/∂s and ∂z/∂t, not s' and t' :wink:)

solve for (1+t) = 0 and (s+2t+1) = 0,

and for the other two combinations :smile:

Hi Tiny-Tim,

thanks for the quick reply!

I do understand I have to solve for 1+t = 0 as well as s+2t+1 =0
and 1+s = 0 and t+2s+1=0.

The difficulty I am having is with s+2t+1 =0 and t+2s+1=0. The two others are clearly s=t=-1

Therefore (-1,-1) is a solution. Now, how do I solve for the two others? I thought of replacing t=-1 in

t+2s+1=0

and s=-1 in s+2t+1 =0. Although that gives me 4 points in the end, it seems kind of weird because I end up with only saddle points, and no local min. I don't have the answers for this question, but I am pretty sure there is a local minimum in this question, because one part of the question asks what is the minimum value of z.

I think I got it

I ended up with (-1,-1) , (-1,1) , (1,-1) , (1,1)

and the three first are saddle points while the last one is a local minimum. Anyone correct me if the person attempts the problem. Thanks

th4m4ster said:
Hey,

I have trouble finding the critical points for this function:

z = f(s,t) = (1+s)(1+t)(s+t)

I get that
s' = (1+t) (t+2s+1) = 0
t' = (1+s) (s+2t+1) = 0
I assume you mean that zs and zt rather than s' and t'.
From the first equation, either t= -1 or t+ 2s+ 1= 0. If t= -1, the second equation becomes (1+ s)(s- 1)= 0 so we have either s= -1 or s= 1. Two critical points are s= -1, t=-1 and s= 1, t= -1.

From the second equation, either s= -1 or s+ 2t+ 1= 0. If s= -1, the first equation becomes (1+ t)(t- 1)= 0 so either t= -1 or t= 1. Two critical points are s= -1, t= -1, which we had before, and s= -1, t= 1.

If neither s= -1 or t= -1, then we must have t+ 2s+ 1= 0 and s+ 2t+ 1= 0. From the first equation, t= -2s- 1 so the second equation becomes s+ 2(-2s- 1)+ 1= s- 4s- 2+ 1= -3s-1= 0 and s= -1/3. In that case, t= -2(-1/3)- 1= 2/3- 1= -1/3.

The critical points are s= -1, t= -1; s= 1, t= -1; s= -1, t= 1; and s= -1/3, t= -1/3.

s= t= 1 is NOT a critical point: (1+ 1)(1+ 2+ 1)= 2(4)= 8 not 0

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks!

HallsofIvy said:
I assume you mean that zs and zt rather than s' and t'.
From the first equation, either t= -1 or t+ 2s+ 1= 0. If t= -1, the second equation becomes (1+ s)(s- 1)= 0 so we have either s= -1 or s= 1. Two critical points are s= -1, t=-1 and s= 1, t= -1.

From the second equation, either s= -1 or s+ 2t+ 1= 0. If s= -1, the first equation becomes (1+ t)(t- 1)= 0 so either t= -1 or t= 1. Two critical points are s= -1, t= -1, which we had before, and s= -1, t= 1.

If neither s= -1 or t= -1, then we must have t+ 2s+ 1= 0 and s+ 2t+ 1= 0. From the first equation, t= -2s- 1 so the second equation becomes s+ 2(-2s- 1)+ 1= s- 4s- 2+ 1= -3s-1= 0 and s= -1/3. In that case, t= -2(-1/3)- 1= 2/3- 1= -1/3.

The critical points are s= -1, t= -1; s= 1, t= -1; s= -1, t= 1; and s= -1/3, t= -1/3.

s= t= 1 is NOT a critical point: (1+ 1)(1+ 2+ 1)= 2(4)= 8 not 0

THanks a lot!

And sorry for the confusion, I meant dz/ds and dz/dt indeed. On a side note, what's the difference between writing dz/dt and t'? just curious

th4m4ster said:
On a side note, what's the difference between writing dz/dt and t'? just curious

dz/dt and z' are the same

t' makes no sense (unless you mean t' = dt/dt = 1)

1. What is the definition of a critical point of a function of two variables?

A critical point of a function of two variables is a point at which both partial derivatives of the function are equal to zero. This means that the function has no slope in any direction at that point.

2. How do you find critical points of a function of two variables?

To find critical points of a function of two variables, you must first find the partial derivatives with respect to each variable. Then, set both partial derivatives equal to zero and solve for the variables. The resulting values will be the critical points of the function.

3. What is the significance of critical points in optimizing a function of two variables?

Critical points are important in optimizing a function of two variables because they represent potential maximum or minimum values of the function. By finding the critical points, we can determine where the function is increasing or decreasing, and where it reaches its extreme values.

4. Can a function of two variables have more than one critical point?

Yes, a function of two variables can have multiple critical points. These points can represent local maximums, local minimums, or saddle points, depending on the behavior of the function in their respective regions.

5. How do you determine if a critical point is a maximum, minimum, or saddle point?

To determine the type of critical point, you must evaluate the second partial derivatives of the function at that point. If the second partial derivatives are both positive, the point is a local minimum. If they are both negative, the point is a local maximum. If they have opposite signs, the point is a saddle point.