Finding current and equivalent resistance

In summary, the circuit has a battery with a voltage of 48.0 V and five resistors with values of 111 Ω, 182 Ω, 663 Ω, 334 Ω, and 465 Ω. To find the current passing through C, D, and G, we need to first find the equivalent resistance of the circuit, which is 193 Ω. From there, we can use Kirchoff's Current and Voltage Laws to calculate the currents at R4 and R5, which can then be used to find the currents at C and G. The voltage drop across R1 can also be calculated to aid in finding the remaining currents.
snakefashion

Homework Statement

The circuit consists of a battery (V0 = 48.0 V) and five resistors (R1 = 111 Ω, R2 = 182 Ω, R3 = 663 Ω, R4 = 334 Ω, and R5 = 465 Ω). Find the current passing through C, D, and G.
VTqne9.png

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find the equivalent resistance (Req = 193 Ω). The problem had a hint that said after that, I need to work backwards to find the currents. I understand that C and G will be the sum of the currents at R4 and R5, but I don't know how to find the currents at R4 and R5.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the equivalent resistance of the circuit then you can calculate the
voltage drop across R1. Then you should easily be able to calculate the currents
thru the remaining resistors.

1. What is current resistance and how is it different from equivalent resistance?

Current resistance is the measure of how much a material or component resists the flow of electricity. It is measured in ohms. Equivalent resistance, on the other hand, is the combined resistance of multiple components in a circuit. It is calculated by adding the individual resistances of each component.

2. How do you calculate total resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. This means that you simply add up all the resistances in the circuit to find the total resistance.

3. How do you calculate total resistance in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the total resistance is less than the smallest individual resistance. To calculate the total resistance, you use the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ..., where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances.

4. Why is it important to find the current and equivalent resistance in a circuit?

Knowing the current and equivalent resistance in a circuit is important for understanding how the circuit functions and how much power is being used. It also helps in troubleshooting and making adjustments to optimize the circuit's performance.

5. How can you measure current and equivalent resistance in a circuit?

To measure current resistance, you can use a multimeter, which measures the voltage drop across a component and the current flowing through it. To measure equivalent resistance, you can use Ohm's law (R = V/I) or use a circuit analyzer tool that can calculate the equivalent resistance of a circuit.