Finding current from capacitance and voltage

In summary: You will see that the opamp is used to provide current output, so you can use the equation I=V/R to calculate the output current.
taupune
Hi,
I have been looking for some current source DAC, and have found a few types but I am having issue reading the datasheet.
Some of them give the output min and mac I that the DAC can provide, which makes sense to me but other give input capacitance and "some type" of voltage.

Can you have a look at this datasheet please:
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD5428_5440_5447.pdf

the specs for output are on the 3 page.

First question would be: Why do I need the input capacitance when I am interested for the output current.
How can I find this current when I am given only voltage and the chip is said to be a current source?

Are there any multiple channel DAC with 0 mA to several mA available on the market?

Thank you in advance
Tau

Engineering news on Phys.org
taupune said:
Hi,
I have been looking for some current source DAC, and have found a few types but I am having issue reading the datasheet.
Some of them give the output min and mac I that the DAC can provide, which makes sense to me but other give input capacitance and "some type" of voltage.

Can you have a look at this datasheet please:
http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/data_sheets/AD5428_5440_5447.pdf

the specs for output are on the 3 page.

First question would be: Why do I need the input capacitance when I am interested for the output current.
How can I find this current when I am given only voltage and the chip is said to be a current source?

Are there any multiple channel DAC with 0 mA to several mA available on the market?

Thank you in advance
Tau

The "input capacitance" specs are for the chip's digital inputs. Irrelevant for your analog output considerations.

Thanks for the reply.
so how can I find the output current when only the output voltage is given, knowing that the DAC is a current source.

taupune said:
Thanks for the reply.
so how can I find the output current when only the output voltage is given, knowing that the DAC is a current source.

From the first page of the datasheet:

The applied external reference input voltage (VREF) determines the full-scale output current. An integrated feedback resistor (RFB) provides temperature tracking and full-scale voltage output when combined with an external I-to-V precision amplifier.

Look at the application circuits near the end of the datasheet to see how they are connecting the I-to-V opamp circuit.

Related to Finding current from capacitance and voltage

1. How do you find current from capacitance and voltage?

The formula for finding current from capacitance and voltage is I = C * dV/dt, where I is the current, C is the capacitance, and dV/dt is the rate of change of voltage over time.

2. Can capacitance and voltage affect the current in a circuit?

Yes, capacitance and voltage are two important factors that can affect the current in a circuit. As voltage increases, the current also increases, while an increase in capacitance can lead to a decrease in current.

3. What is the relationship between capacitance, voltage, and current?

The relationship between capacitance, voltage, and current is described by Ohm's Law, which states that current is directly proportional to voltage and inversely proportional to capacitance.

4. How can capacitance and voltage be measured in a circuit?

Capacitance can be measured using a capacitance meter or by using the formula C = Q/V, where Q is the charge and V is the voltage. Voltage can be measured using a voltmeter or by using the formula V = IR, where I is the current and R is the resistance.

5. Can capacitance and voltage change over time in a circuit?

Yes, capacitance and voltage can change over time in a circuit due to various factors such as temperature, material properties, and external influences. This can affect the current in the circuit as well.