1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Derivatives Using Taylor/Maclaurin Polynomials

1. Mar 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Compute the 6th derivative of f(x) = arctan((x^2)/4) at x = 0. Hint: Use the Maclaurin series for f(x).

2. Relevant equations

The maclaurin series of arctanx which is ((-1)^n)*x^(2n+1)/2n+1

3. The attempt at a solution

I subbed in x^2/4 for x into the maclaurin series and got *summation* ((-1)^n)*x^(4n+2)/(4^2n+1)(2n+1). After that, i'm not sure what to do. I know that the 6th derivative in a general maclaurin series would be represented by *the 6th derivative of f at 0*/n! and x is to the power of 6. My prof said to find the value where the exponent of x in the series is 6.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, so you know that the general term is [itex]((-1)^n)*x^{4n+2}/(4^{2n+1})(2n+1)[/itex].
    And you know that the coefficient is the nth derivative over n!. Okay. For what n is
    4n+2= 6? What is the coefficient of [itex]x^6[/itex]?

4. Mar 12, 2010 #3
    Yes, I did as such and found n = 1 to get x^6. Thus, the coefficient of x would be -(1/192), no? Apparently, the answer was wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook