Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Dimensional Homogeneity

1. Aug 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Which one of the following equations is dimensionally homogeneous?

Where:

F= force (N)
    m= mass (kg)
    a= acceleration (m/s2)
    V= velocity (m/s)
    R= radius (m)
    t= time (s)

2. Relevant equations

1. F=ma
    2. F=m(V2/R)
    3. F(t2-t1)=m(V2-V1)
    4. F=mV
    5. F=m(V2-V1)/(t2-t1)

3. The attempt at a solution

Through what I can gather from my textbook and the internet, I started by entering what I know. So:
    F=ma
    becomes:
    N=(kg)(m/s2)

From here, I'm not really sure where to go.

F=m(V2)/(R)
    becomes:
    N=(kg)((m/s2)/(m))

And again, I plug everything in but in my textbook at this point is where they determine if it is or isn't dimensionally homogeneous.

I would really appreciate any guidance on this, I realize it's a super basic question, but you've got to start somewhere! Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Homogeneous usually means "made up of the same types" or words to that effect.

If you express each quantity in base units - m , kg , s - you could compare left to right.

hint: there are two formulas which look very similar, but with one variable different. I would suspect one of those.

4. Aug 29, 2011 #3

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try that one again. It seems you forgot to square something or forgot to divide by something. One of the two. :wink:

5. Aug 29, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Uh, V^2 dimensions are m^2/s^2. You try it again.

6. Aug 29, 2011 #5
    Okay, so further googling turned up this(http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/units.html) handy chart.

Am I to understand correctly that 1N= 1kg(m/s2) And then using that I can compare left to right? And if the right side doesn't come out to kg(m/s2) it is NOT dimensionally homogeneous?

7. Aug 29, 2011 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. And I don't there is just one that is homogeneous.

8. Aug 29, 2011 #7
    I think the question may have been mis-typed on my handout. I think it should read "which one of the following is NOT dimensionally homogeneous?"

When I do the substitutions for F=mV it becomes:

N=(kg)(m/s) or further:

(kg)(m/s2)=(kg)(m/s)

Because the (m/s) on the right is not squared as it is on the left, would this be a correct example of an equation that is NOT dimensionally homogeneous?

9. Aug 30, 2011 #8

PeterO

Homework Helper

That is the task for all but the third one, where the left hand side is not simply F, but has time with it.

I would have the units of F as kgms-2

Perhaps made clearer as kg m s-2 or kg.m.s-2

Often these are actually written "dimensionally" using [M] for mass, [T] for time and [L] for length.

then we would have [M][L][T]-2

That certainly takes care of countries that use pounds instead of kg, and feet instead of metres.

Oh and rest assured - only one of the examples is not homogeneous - perhaps you left the word not out of your original post.

10. Aug 30, 2011 #9

PeterO

Homework Helper

certainly would.

11. Aug 30, 2011 #10
    Thank you all. Your explanations made it click in my head and I think I have it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?