1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Displacement through integration

1. May 31, 2006 #1
    I'm having trouble with the following question:

at any time t, the acceleration of a particle P, travelling in a straight line, is inversely proportional to (t+1)3. Initially, when t = 0, P is at rest at a point O, and 3 seconds later it has a speed 2ms-1. Find in terms of t the displacement of P from O at any time.

My working (using u = t+1):

[tex]v=\int\frac{k}{(t+1)^3}dt[/tex] = [tex]\frac{-k}{2(t+1)^2}+C[/tex]

Now as the particle starts from rest at t= 0, C = 0, and when t =3, v = 2 such that

[tex]2 = \frac{-k}{2(3+1)^2}[/tex] and so K= -64 giving [tex] v = \frac{32}{(t+1)^2}[/tex]

I should now integrate this again to find s...
    [tex]s=\int\frac{32}{(t+1)^2}dt[/tex] = [tex]\frac{32}{t+1}+C[/tex]
    again, I can lose the constant because when t = 0 P is at the origin so that

problem is...the books answer is [tex]s=\frac{32t^2}{15(t+1)}[/tex] and even worse...by differentiating this I find that v does indeed = 2 when t = 3. I am stumped as to how I should derive this though :frown: ... what am I doing wrong? :confused:
    Last edited: May 31, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

If v is given by

and v = 0 at t = 0, then this would mean,

[tex]C = \frac{k}{2(0+1)^2} = \frac{k}{2}[/tex],

not that C = 0.

Then one needs the intial dispacement at t=0
  4. May 31, 2006 #3
    agh...just kept overlooking that screw up in my working :redface: ...Thanks astronuc :smile:
  5. May 31, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

I've done the same :biggrin:

Sometimes, one has to just walk away and not think about it, and that's usually when one has an "Aha!" moment. :cool:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?