1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding distance between two origin points; waves

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    1. A submerged scuba diver hears the sound of a boat horn directly above her on the surface of the lake. At the same time, a friend on dry land 22.0 m from the boat also hears the horn (Figure 1). The horn is 1.2 m above the surface of the water. What is the distance (labelled by"?" in Figure 1) from the horn to the diver? The speed of sound in water vwater = 1482 m/s.

I have absolutely no idea where to start with this. I am completely stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So you know the speed of sound in water (and air, presumably) and you need to know the distance. What bit of information are you missing to convert a speed to a distance?
    You should find that you can use the other given data (the friend at 22.0 m on dry land) to calculate this.

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    I really don't know how I missed that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted