Finding distance that a pad is compressed after being dropped

In summary, the conversation is about an egg being dropped from a third-floor window and landing on a foam-rubber pad without breaking. The question asks how much the pad is compressed when the egg falls from a height of 11.9m and is stopped by the pad in 6.32ms. The person attempting the problem suggests using the equations d(x)=v(int)t=1/2at^2 and v(final)=v(int)+at to solve for the unknowns. However, the attempted solution does not seem to yield the correct answer.
Greywolfe1982

Homework Statement

An egg is dropped from a third-floor win-
dow and lands on a foam-rubber pad without
breaking.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.81 m/s2 .
If a 56.3 g egg falls 11.9 m from rest and the
7.29 cm thick foam pad stops it in 6.32 ms,
by how much is the pad compressed? Assume
constant upward acceleration as the egg com-
presses the foam-rubber pad. (Assume that
the potential energy that the egg gains while
the pad is being compressed is negligible.)
Answer in units of m.

Homework Equations

I'm not quite sure. I was thinking EP (mgh) = 1/2 kx2, but you aren't given the spring constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated that just before the egg hit the pad, its velocity was 15.28m/s. After this...I have no clue where to go.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you probably have to do something with the impulse that the pad delivers to the egg:
The egg hits the pad with some initial velocity and then is brought to a complete stop before most likely bouncing up a little bit.
This is essentially an acceleration in the upward direction. Then you can use the equations:
d(x)=v(int)t=1/2at^2
v(final)=v(int) + at
to solve for your two unknowns.
Hope this helps, sorry my equations are not that easy to read (d=delta)

I think my brain is fried after doing physics for a few hours straight...but your first equation doesn't seem to make sense to me.

d(x)=v(int)t=1/2at^2

Two equals signs? How would you solve for x?

haha sorry the second equals was supposed to be a plus. my bad. Yea solving for x would have been interesting.

Tried that, got an answer of .144854 m, but according to my online assignment page, that's wrong. Is there a problem in my math, or is that the wrong formula to use?

1. What is the purpose of finding the distance that a pad is compressed after being dropped?

The purpose of finding the distance that a pad is compressed after being dropped is to understand the impact and force exerted on the pad during the drop. This information can be used to determine the durability and effectiveness of the pad for its intended use.

2. How is the distance that a pad is compressed measured?

The distance that a pad is compressed can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. The pad should be placed on a flat surface and the distance from the bottom of the pad to the surface should be measured before and after the drop. The difference between these two measurements is the distance that the pad was compressed.

3. What factors can affect the distance that a pad is compressed?

Several factors can affect the distance that a pad is compressed, including the height from which it is dropped, the weight of the object used to compress the pad, the material and thickness of the pad, and the surface on which the pad is dropped. These factors should be controlled and accounted for in order to accurately measure and compare compression distances.

4. How can the results of this experiment be used in real-world applications?

The results of this experiment can be used to inform the design and production of pads for various uses, such as seat cushions, protective gear, and shock-absorbing materials. By understanding the compression distance and force of a pad, manufacturers can create products that are more durable and effective for their intended purposes.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when conducting this experiment?

Yes, it is important to take safety precautions when conducting this experiment. Make sure to use a safety harness or other protective gear when climbing to the height from which the pad will be dropped. Also, make sure to secure the pad in place to prevent it from rolling or moving during the drop. And always follow proper safety procedures when handling any equipment or objects used in the experiment.