1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Drag w/ acceleration & Boyant force

1. Nov 3, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A speed boat is accelerating at 5 m/s/s. If the Boyant force (the force the prevents the boat from sinking) is 3140 N and the thrust that the motor exerts on the boat is 1876 N, what is the drag on the boat (drag in a fluid is a like friction on land).

2. Relevant equations
    Fnet = ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    We just started getting 2 part equations and I'm a little confused on what I have to solve for first. Would someone help me figure out what to solve for first?
    I was thinking that since the boyant force is 3140N going up then gravity must be pulling 3,140N down right? So then the acceleration downwards is 9.81 m/s/s, so 3,140N = X * 9.81 then divide 3,140 by 9.81 and you get 320.081549kg. Does this help at all?
    Fnet = ma
    Fnet = (320kg * 5m/s/s)
    If that is correct, what do I use for Fnet

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2008 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes looks good so far. The boat is accelerating in the x direction. The net force is the algebraic sum of the forces acting on the boat in the x direction. What are those forces? (one is given, the other is unknown; you need to solve for it).

4. Nov 3, 2008 #3
    1876 N - Ff = (320kg * 5m/s/s)

1876N/(320kg * 5m/s/s) = Ff

1.1725 is the force of friction? I'm pretty sure thats not right, what am I missing?

5. Nov 3, 2008 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your algebra!
    1876-Ff = 320(5)
    Ff = 1876 - (320)5

6. Nov 3, 2008 #5
    Haha thanks a lot, that was a dumb mistake.
    I appreciate the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?