1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding electric field incident on a medium

1. Jun 23, 2011 #1
    \Gamma1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    if an electric field is travelling in air and hits a medium n2. then there will be three fields present:

the incident electric field
    the reflected electric field
    and the transmitted electric field.

the electric field in medium 1 would be:

E(z,t)=Ei(exp(-jkz)+[itex]\Gamma[/itex]exp(jkz))cos(wt-kz) assuming it is travelling in the z direction

where gamma is the reflection cofficent and Ei is incident amplitude of the field.

and the felid in medium two would be:
    E(z,t)=Ei([itex]\tau[/itex]exp(-jkz))cos(wt-kz) where tau is the transmission coffecient

i was wondering if the angle of incidence any affect of the fields. for example if the original e field was incident on the normal angle would it affect the field in medium 2 or the relfected field. if so how?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2011 #2
    The angle of incidence is actually quite important since the transmission and reflexion coefficient are function of the incidence angle (I think they are usually called Fresnel coefficient; actually the square modulus are the Fresnel coefficient). Furthermore, the transmitted angle is also function of the incident angle (See Snell-Descartes law).

I would also suggest that you don't mix complex wave and cosine wave expression since they complicate a lot any attempt when working with waves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook