Finding electric field with a changing linear charge density

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at a point P on the origin, a distance "d" away from a thin rod of length L along the X axis. The linear charge density is given by λ=λ0 ((x-d)^3)/d^3 and the equation for finding the electric field is dE=kdq/r^2. The attempt at a solution involves converting dq into a differential form and solving for the electric field using an integral, but the correct distance r should be x instead of L+d-x.
bosteador3

Homework Statement

a thin rod of length L is set along an X axis. we want to find the electric field at a point P at the origin, a distance "d" from the rod. The linear change density changes with X and it's given by λ=λ0 ((x-d)^3)/d^3 find the electric field at the point P...

(P)|---d---| |--------------L-----------------|

L is the length of the rod, d is just a distance from the rod to the point P. P is at the origin (x=0)

Homework Equations

λ=λ0 ((x-d)^3)/d^3

dq=λ dx

The Attempt at a Solution

i put q/x on differential form to get dq=lambda dx do i get dE=kdq/r^2 ,(L+ d - x)^2 => E= (k*λ)/d^3 ∫(x-d)^3/(L+d-x)^2 dx... idk if I am wrong or what but i don't know how to solve that integral, i'd appreciate some help on this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.

bosteador3 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i put q/x on differential form to get dq=lambda dx do i get dE=kdq/r^2 ,(L+ d - x)^2 => E= (k*λ)/d^3 ∫(x-d)^3/(L+d-x)^2 dx... idk if I am wrong or what but i don't know how to solve that integral, i'd appreciate some help on this problem.

The distance r from a charge element dq to the origin would simply be x, not L+d-x. Looks good otherwise.

1. How do you calculate the electric field with a changing linear charge density?

To calculate the electric field with a changing linear charge density, you can use the formula E = λ/(2πε0r), where λ is the linear charge density, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the charge to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

2. What is a linear charge density?

A linear charge density is a measure of the amount of charge per unit length along a line. It is represented by the symbol λ and is typically measured in coulombs per meter (C/m).

3. How does the electric field change with a changing linear charge density?

The electric field varies inversely with the distance from the charge, so as the linear charge density changes, the electric field will also change. If the linear charge density increases, the electric field will increase, and if the linear charge density decreases, the electric field will decrease.

4. Can the electric field be negative with a changing linear charge density?

Yes, the electric field can be negative with a changing linear charge density. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the linear charge density.

5. How can the electric field be visualized with a changing linear charge density?

The electric field can be visualized using vector diagrams, where the length and direction of the arrows represent the strength and direction of the electric field, respectively. The electric field can also be represented graphically using field lines, which show the direction and magnitude of the electric field at different points in space.