1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding energy from dipole moment - Helmholtz pair?

1. May 14, 2015 #1
    Firstly apologies for not typing this out - but I need the diagram. And I have no idea where to start. I 'think' most of it is correct. BUT - I have no idea what to do with the last part of c. I thought I could just double the energy. But I'm going to get a negative energy for the system... Clearly that isn't right. I have also considered that the energies just cancel each other out... But that doesn't seem to make sense either. Any ideas?

17631688445_e0915d965e_b.jpg

17444099010_438e7b2a08_k.jpg

17631761911_0b93ee8e7b_b.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your work looks very good to me. But what should be the sign of the dot product of m and B?

4. May 14, 2015 #3
    The sign shoud be: U = -B.m

So I still get a minus sign... Or am I missing something obvious? Should I just double the U and make it positive to get the answer?

5. May 14, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

##U = -\vec{m} \cdot \vec{B}= -m \; B \cos \theta##. What is the value of ##\theta##?

6. May 14, 2015 #5
    I though ti was 90 degrees. But I am guessing I am wrong...

7. May 14, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Note that ##\cos 90^o = 0##, so that's not what you would like to have.

Consider the loop on the left. What is the direction of ##\vec{m}## for that loop? What is the direction of the magnetic field ##\vec{B}## produced by the loop on the right at the location of the loop on the left?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted