Finding entropy change when house leaks heat

In summary, the temperature inside a house is 19.2° C while the temperature outside is 10.7° C, with a heat leakage of 5.49 kJ resulting in an entropy change of .5629265733 J/K, taking into account both the entropy loss inside and the entropy gain outside.
rubenhero

Homework Statement

b) The temperature inside a house is Tin = 19.2° C when the temperature outside is Tout = 10.7° C. If Q = 5.49 kJ of heat leak from the house to the outside, find the change in entropy caused by this process.

Homework Equations

W = QH - QC, dS = dQ/T

The Attempt at a Solution

dS = 5.49kJ/283.7K = .0193514276kJ/K

The answer I calculated was wrong, should I include the entropy inside the house?
Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rubenhero! :smile:

rubenhero said:

Homework Statement

b) The temperature inside a house is Tin = 19.2° C when the temperature outside is Tout = 10.7° C. If Q = 5.49 kJ of heat leak from the house to the outside, find the change in entropy caused by this process.

Homework Equations

W = QH - QC, dS = dQ/T

The Attempt at a Solution

dS = 5.49kJ/283.7K = .0193514276kJ/K

The answer I calculated was wrong, should I include the entropy inside the house?
Any help is appreciated!

Inside you lose ΔS=-Q/TH.
Outside you gain ΔS=Q/TL.

The question in your problem statement is not entirely clear, but I suspect the total change in entropy is intended, which is the sum of both entropy changes.

Thanks you for responding. You were right, I just did the sum of the entropy loss and gain and got an answer of .5629265733 J/K. Webassign marked my answer as right. Thanks again for your help!

You're welcome! :)

I would approach this problem by first understanding the concept of entropy and its relationship to heat transfer. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, and it increases with heat transfer from a warm to a cool environment. In this case, the house is losing heat to the outside, so the entropy of the system is increasing.

To calculate the change in entropy, we can use the equation dS = dQ/T, where dQ is the heat transfer and T is the temperature in Kelvin. However, we need to be careful in defining the boundaries of our system. The question mentions the temperature inside the house, Tin, and the temperature outside, Tout. This suggests that the system includes both the house and the outside environment.

Using this approach, we can calculate the change in entropy as follows:

dS = -5.49 kJ / 283.7 K + 5.49 kJ / 283.7 K = 0

This means that the change in entropy caused by the heat leaking from the house is zero. This may seem counterintuitive, but it makes sense because the heat transfer is occurring between two systems at different temperatures, and the total entropy change is the sum of the entropy changes in each system. In this case, the decrease in entropy inside the house is equal to the increase in entropy outside, resulting in a net change of zero.

In summary, when calculating the change in entropy caused by a heat leak from a house, it is important to consider the entire system, including both the house and the outside environment.

1. What is entropy change?

Entropy change is a measure of the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. In the context of a house leaking heat, it refers to the change in the amount of heat energy that is transferred out of the house and into the surrounding environment.

2. Why is it important to find the entropy change when a house leaks heat?

Finding the entropy change can help us understand the efficiency of a house's insulation and heating system. It can also help us identify areas where heat is being lost and take measures to improve energy efficiency and reduce heating costs.

3. How is entropy change calculated in the context of a house leaking heat?

The entropy change can be calculated using the formula ΔS = Q/T, where ΔS is the change in entropy, Q is the heat energy transferred, and T is the temperature at which the heat transfer occurs. This calculation requires measurements of the amount of heat energy lost and the temperature difference between the inside and outside of the house.

4. Can the entropy change be negative when a house leaks heat?

Yes, the entropy change can be negative when a house leaks heat. This indicates that the house is losing heat to the surrounding environment, resulting in a decrease in disorder or randomness within the system.

5. How can we reduce the entropy change when a house leaks heat?

To reduce the entropy change and improve the energy efficiency of a house, measures can be taken to improve insulation, seal any air leaks, and upgrade to more efficient heating systems. Regular maintenance and repairs can also help reduce the amount of heat lost through a leaking house.