Tangent plane and normal line to x-z=4arctan(yz) at (1+π, 1, 1)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
physicsidiot1
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find equations of the tangent plant and the normal line to x-z=4arctan(yz) at (1+∏, 1, 1)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I took the partials and got fx=0 fy=0 fz=(-4y)/((yz)2+1) so for the plane i got -2z-2=0 and for the normal line I got .5z-2=0. I feel like I may have messed up somewhere, probably in taking the partials...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
physicsidiot1 said:

Homework Statement



Find equations of the tangent plant and the normal line to x-z=4arctan(yz) at (1+∏, 1, 1)

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I took the partials and got fx=0 fy=0 fz=(-4y)/((yz)2+1) so for the plane i got -2z-2=0 and for the normal line I got .5z-2=0. I feel like I may have messed up somewhere, probably in taking the partials...

Start by writing your function like this:

f(x,y,z) = x - z - 4arctan(yz) = 0

Then look again at your partials (they are all three wrong). In particular, for example, how do you get fx = 0 out of that, for starters? Show us what you get for your normal vector then we can talk.
 
When I look at x- z= 4 arctan(yz), I see both x and y variables in it. So the derivatives fx and fy can't be 0.

But since you never say exactly what "f" is, it is impossible to tell what you are doing.