Finding equation of tangent plane & normal line to a given surface

In summary: The whole point of a problem like this is to find the equation of the tangent plane and normal line at a specific point. You cannot do that without knowing the function.
physicsidiot1

Homework Statement

Find equations of the tangent plant and the normal line to x-z=4arctan(yz) at (1+∏, 1, 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the partials and got fx=0 fy=0 fz=(-4y)/((yz)2+1) so for the plane i got -2z-2=0 and for the normal line I got .5z-2=0. I feel like I may have messed up somewhere, probably in taking the partials...

Physics news on Phys.org
physicsidiot1 said:

Homework Statement

Find equations of the tangent plant and the normal line to x-z=4arctan(yz) at (1+∏, 1, 1)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the partials and got fx=0 fy=0 fz=(-4y)/((yz)2+1) so for the plane i got -2z-2=0 and for the normal line I got .5z-2=0. I feel like I may have messed up somewhere, probably in taking the partials...

Start by writing your function like this:

f(x,y,z) = x - z - 4arctan(yz) = 0

Then look again at your partials (they are all three wrong). In particular, for example, how do you get fx = 0 out of that, for starters? Show us what you get for your normal vector then we can talk.

When I look at x- z= 4 arctan(yz), I see both x and y variables in it. So the derivatives fx and fy can't be 0.

But since you never say exactly what "f" is, it is impossible to tell what you are doing.

1. What is the purpose of finding the equation of tangent plane and normal line to a given surface?

The equation of tangent plane and normal line to a given surface helps us understand the behavior of the surface at a specific point. It allows us to determine the slope and direction of the surface at that point, which can be useful in many applications such as optimization, motion planning, and surface approximation.

2. How do you find the equation of tangent plane to a given surface?

To find the equation of tangent plane to a given surface, we first need to find the partial derivatives of the surface with respect to the variables x and y. Then, we can use these derivatives to calculate the slope of the surface at a specific point. Finally, we can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent plane.

3. What is the equation of normal line to a given surface?

The equation of normal line to a given surface is a line that is perpendicular to the surface at a specific point. It is calculated by taking the negative reciprocal of the slope of the tangent plane at that point. Similar to the tangent plane, we can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the normal line.

4. Can the equation of tangent plane and normal line be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the equation of tangent plane and normal line can be used in three-dimensional space. In fact, they are often used in 3D applications such as computer graphics and engineering. The equations follow the same principles as in two-dimensional space, but with an additional variable to account for the third dimension.

5. How can finding the equation of tangent plane and normal line be applied in real-life scenarios?

The equation of tangent plane and normal line have various real-life applications, such as in optimizing surfaces for manufacturing processes, calculating slope and curvature in terrain mapping, and determining the direction of forces acting on a surface. They are also useful in fields like physics, economics, and meteorology.