Finding f'(x) using definition of derivative

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the derivative of f(x) = x^2 cos(1/x) using the definition of the derivative. The speaker has factored out x^2 and used the sum to product formula from trigonometry, but is unsure how to simplify the expression in order to substitute 0 for h. Another suggestion is to use binomial expansion to simplify the argument (x+h)^{-1}.
demonelite123
f(x) = x2 cos(1/x)

i know how to take the derivative using product and chain rule, but i need to find the derivative using the definition of the derivative. so far i did:

lim [(x+h)2 cos(1/x + h) - x2 cos(1/x)] / h
h ~> 0

[x2cos(1/x+h) + 2xhcos(1/x+h) + h2cos(1/x+h) - x2 cos(1/x)] / h

then i took [x2cos(1/x+h)- x2 cos(1/x)] and i factored out the x2

x2 [cos(1/x+h) - cos(1/x)]

i used the sum to product formula from trigonometry and i got x2 [-2sin(2x+h / 2x2+2xh)sin(-h / (2x+h / 2x2+2xh)]

but from there I'm stuck. i have no idea how to simplify that expression in order to get the h on the bottom of the the entire fraction to cancel out so i can substitute 0 for h. please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of using the product formula, it may help to note that we takes the limit of h ->0, so [tex]h / x[/tex] is small. This suggests simplification of the argument [tex]\frac{1}{(x+h)} = (x+h)^{-1}[/tex] through binomial expansion.

What is the definition of derivative?

The derivative of a function f(x) at a specific point x is the instantaneous rate of change of the function at that point. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at that point.

Why is finding f'(x) important?

Finding the derivative of a function at a specific point allows us to understand the behavior of the function at that point. It helps us determine the slope of the function, which is useful in various applications such as optimization, physics, and economics.

What is the process for finding f'(x) using the definition of derivative?

The process involves taking the limit of the difference quotient, where h approaches 0. This can be expressed as f'(x) = lim(h→0) (f(x+h) - f(x))/h. This gives us the slope of the tangent line at the point x, which is the derivative f'(x).

Can the definition of derivative be used for all types of functions?

Yes, the definition of derivative can be used for all types of functions, including polynomials, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions.

What are the common notations used for representing derivatives?

The most commonly used notations for representing derivatives are f'(x), dy/dx, and d/dx f(x). These all represent the derivative of the function f(x) with respect to x.