1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding force with trig functions

1. Oct 3, 2006 #1
    A shopper pushes a 7.5 kg shopping cart up a 13 degree incline. Find horizontal force needed to give the cart an acceleration of 1.41 m/s^2.

I know the answer is 28N, but I haven't yet figured it out.
    I did F=ma F=(7.5)(1.41)cos13= 10.30
    what didn't I do?
    thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2006 #2
    You seem to be forgetting that there are multiple forces acting on this cart and that F=ma means net force (sum of all forces) = ma

The way I do this problem is to create a coordinate system in which the x-axis is parallel to the slope of the plane, that way we can discount forces that are acting in the y-direction (we know that the sum of the forces in the y-direction must equal 0). Only 2 forces have x components, force of the person, and gravity.

Fnet = ma

F - (mgsin13) = ma
    F = (7.5 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) + (9.8 m/s^2)(7.5kg)(sin13)
    F = 27.109N

this force we calculated is the force needed to create that acceleration if the person was pushing parallel to the x-axis, but we know he wants to push this horizontally so he will require a little more force.

Fcos13 = 27.109
    F = 27.8N

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?