1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Fourier coefficients and Fourier Series

1. May 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the Fourier coefficients for the function

*Should be a piecewise function, not sure how to write one in [itex /itex] tags*

[itex]f(x) = [/itex]
    [itex]|x|, |x| < 1,[/itex]
    [itex]1, 1≤|x|< 2;[/itex]

[itex]f(x+4) = f(x)[/itex]

and

Find the Fourier series for

[itex]f(x) = cos1/2\pi x, -1≤x<1; f(x+2)=f(x)[/itex]

Would be great if someone could explain how to solve these. It feels like our lecturer rushed over Fourier series / coefficients, without giving any similar examples. Thanks for any help

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The Fourier coefficients for a function, f, defined on interval [a, b]. are the coefficients [itex]A_i[/itex] and [itex]B_i[/tex] such that
    [tex]f(x)= A_0+ A_1 cos((2\pi/(b-a))x)+ B_1 sin((2\pi/(b-a))x)+ A_2 cos((4\pi/(b-a))x)+ B_2sin((4\pi/(b-a))x)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot= \sum_{i= 0}^\inft A_i cos((2i\pi/(b-a))x)+ B_i sin((2i\pi/(b-a))x)[/tex]

The "theoretical" point is that the sines and cosines form an "orthonormal basis" for such functions and so we can find the coefficients by taking the "inner product" of f with each of those functions:

[tex]A_i= \frac{2}{b- a}\int_a^b f(x)cos((2\pi/(b-a))x) dx[/tex]
    [tex]B_i= \frac{2}{b- a}\int_a^b f(x)sin((2\pi/(b-a))x) dx[/tex]

Surely those formulas are in your text book?

4. May 20, 2013 #3
    These are the equations we are given in our notes

[itex]f(x) = \frac{a_{0}}{2} + \sum^{∞}_{m=1} [a_{m}cos\frac{mx\pi}{L} + b_{m}sin\frac{mx\pi}{L}][/itex]

where [itex]a_{m}[/itex] and [itex]b_{m}[/itex] are the Fourier constants.

To determine the Fourier coefficients, we are given

[itex]a_{m} = <cos\frac{mx\pi}{L},f(x)>_{L} = \frac{1}{L} ∫^{L}_{-L}cos\frac{mx\pi}{L}f(x)dx[/itex]
    [itex]b_{m} = <sin\frac{mx\pi}{L},f(x)>_{L} = \frac{1}{L} ∫^{L}_{-L}sin\frac{mx\pi}{L}f(x)dx[/itex]

L is calculated from [itex]T = 2L[/itex] where T is the period which is found from [itex]f(x+T) = f(x)[/itex] So L must be 2.

Since the function involves a piecewise function, am I supposed to take the integral of the function over the intervals [0,1] and [1,2]?

5. May 20, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes. Except that your domain also has negative numbers. So you should also include [-1,0] and [-2,-1] somewhere.

6. May 20, 2013 #5
    Ok so here is my attempt for [itex]a_{0}[/itex]

[itex]a_{0} = \frac{1}{2}∫^{-1}_{-2}1dx + \frac{1}{2}∫^{0}_{-1}xdx + \frac{1}{2}∫^{1}_{0}xdx + \frac{1}{2}∫^{2}_{1}1dx[/itex]

Evaluated, I get

[itex]a_{0} = 1[/itex]

Correct? Should be able to do the rest fine now if that's correct

7. May 23, 2013 #6
    Can someone please confirm that this is incorrect / correct so that I know that I'm on the right track or not. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted