Finding frequency of a specific mechanical oscillator -- horizontal rod on pivot

srecko97
I did the same approximation in the first part of my homework (calculating the oscillating time), when I say cos φ≈1 for small φ

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Keep terms of first order in φ. cosφ ≈ 1 - φ2/2 ≈ 1 to first order. What about sinφ?

srecko97
sinφ=φ-(φ^3)/6

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
srecko97
oh it is φ

srecko97
Well, I got that M_right - M_left = mg(rφ-bφ) ...M=torque

srecko97
image.jpg

The frequency gets smaller, as numerator gets smaller and denominator gets bigger. I hope it is correct! I would like to say you a big THANK YOU TSny! You helped me a lot... I learned a lot from solving this task with your help. I love this forum...

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Your answer looks correct to me. (b ≥ r is interesting to think about.)

Glad I could help.

srecko97
ω2 is then negative, so there is no oscillation in real?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
ω2 is then negative, so there is no oscillation in real?
Yes, there is no oscillation. Looking back at your post#43, I think you need to add an overall negative sign to the first equation so that it's

##J \ddot{\phi} = - mg(r-b)\phi##.

If ##b > r## then you can see that ##\ddot{\phi} >0## if ##\phi## is given an initial small, positive value. So, the rod rotates away from the equilibrium position when it is released and there is no oscillation. Of course, the differential equation for ##\phi## breaks down as ##\phi## continues to increase since the differential equation was derived under the assumption that ##\phi## is always small.

Another way to investigate the general behavior of the system for various values of b is to derive the potential energy of the system as a function of ##\phi## without making a small angle approximation. Then plots of the potential energy function for various values of b will reveal a lot about the behavior. But that's probably for a rainy day.

Suggested for: Finding frequency of a specific mechanical oscillator -- horizontal rod on pivot

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies