1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding initial velocity and theta, given range and height

1. Sep 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A stone is thrown down a slope. I am given the Range of the slope and the max height from spot thrown.
    R= 50m
    h= 12m

2. Relevant equations

I need to determine the magnitude of Vo and inital theta.

3. The attempt at a solution

First I need to find V_o:
    I feel that the only relevant portion to find the initial velocity is from the spot thrown to the max height where V_yo is 0. I broke up the components of velocity so that:
    V_xo=vcos(theta)
    V_yo=vsin(theta)

However, I'm lost after this because I don't know t. My first idea was to find t, but I was having problems finding an equation that doesn't use v, theta, in a time equation.
    My second idea was to find an equation that avoids time such as v_y^2=V_yo^2-g(y-yo).

I haven't attempted the initial theta part yet.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2
    Reading through this post, this morning, I realized I forgot to add that the slope has a rise of 30m and a run of 40m. I don't feel that would help with find V_o though. :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?