Finding Internal Resistance of a Circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the total resistance within a circuit and calculating the voltage across a specific resistor. The solution involves creating a sketch and calculating the current and voltage theoretically, then taking into account the internal impedance of the meter. The suggestion is made to change the effective resistance of the specific resistor in order to see how it affects the circuit current and voltage drop.
Josh225

Homework Statement

See image attached.

I am currently stuck on part b.

Homework Equations

(Rt) (Rint) / Rt + (Rint)

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that Rt would be 26.7 kohms, but my answer is not matching up with the answer in the book. I am unsure why since the resistors are in series, so I figured I would just add the 2 values. Once I find that, I just plug in total resistance and internal resistance into the formula above. Then I would have to convert Mohms to kohms.
Does that sound right?

Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20160728_150206.jpg
    20160728_150206.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 392
Physics news on Phys.org
Can I suggest you make a sketch circuit showing the DMM modeled as an ideal DMM and an 11M resistor.

You don't say what Rt is?
You mention resistors in series but don't say which ones you are talking about.

CWatters said:
Can I suggest you make a sketch circuit showing the DMM modeled as an ideal DMM and an 11M resistor.

You don't say what Rt is?
You mention resistors in series but don't say which ones you are talking about.
Im not 100% sure by what you mean by making a sketch. I thought 26.7 kilohms would be the total resistance within the circuit (by adding the 2 resistors together). If not, how would you do so?

Here is my sketch, but am unsure it this is what you were suggesting.

Attachments

• 20160728_191621-1.jpg
    20160728_191621-1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 360
Josh225 said:
Im not 100% sure by what you mean by making a sketch. I thought 26.7 kilohms would be the total resistance within the circuit (by adding the 2 resistors together). If not, how would you do so?

Here is my sketch, but am unsure it this is what you were suggesting.
Part (b) of the question asks you to measure V2 assuming an internal impedance of 11M in the meter. Your sketch shows the meter across the wrong resistor.

I would suggest you calculate the current in the circuit in the usual way, then calculate the voltage (theoretically) across R2. Once you have done that, measuring the voltage with the meter effectively places two resistors in parallel. So what do you think would happen to the circuit current if you change the effective resistance of R2? And if the current is different, what would happen to the voltage drop across R2, would it be the same as you calculated in part (a)?

Yes your sketch is exactly what I meant but as Numbskull said you have the meter across the wrong resistor.

Related to Finding Internal Resistance of a Circuit

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance refers to the resistance that a power source, such as a battery, has to the flow of electric current within itself. It is caused by the resistance of the materials used in the battery and the chemical reactions that occur within it.

2. How does internal resistance affect battery performance?

Internal resistance can affect battery performance by causing a voltage drop when the battery is under load. This means that the battery's voltage decreases as it is used, leading to a shorter battery life and less efficiency.

3. What factors can impact internal resistance?

Internal resistance can be impacted by various factors such as temperature, age of the battery, and the type of materials used in the battery. Higher temperatures and older batteries tend to have higher internal resistance, reducing the battery's overall performance.

4. How can internal resistance be measured?

Internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter. By measuring the voltage of the battery at rest and then again while it is under load, the internal resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R=V/I). There are also specialized battery analyzers that can measure internal resistance.

5. Can internal resistance be reduced?

Internal resistance cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be reduced by using high-quality materials in the battery, maintaining the battery at optimal temperatures, and avoiding overcharging or deep discharging the battery. Regular cycling and conditioning of the battery can also help reduce internal resistance.