1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding inverse in polynomial factor ring

1. Feb 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    find the inverse of r in R = F[x]/<h>.
    r = 1 + t - t^2
    F = Z_7 (integers modulo 7), h = x^3 + x^2 -1

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    The polynomial on bottom is of degree 3, so R will look like:
    R = {a + bt + ct^2 | a,b,c are elements of z_7 and x^3 = 1 - ^2}

To solve this problem I realized that the inverse must obviously have the form of some element in R, so I set up:
    (a + bt + ct^2)(1 + t - t^2) = 1

then I multiplied it all out whilst continuously substituting for t^3 and then solving for coefficients where the constant coefficient should equal 1 and the other two should equal 0.

I did all of this and got the constant coefficient to be zero and nonzero answers for the other two >.<. I checked my calculations and can't find an error (doesn't necessarily mean there isn't one...), is something wrong with the way I set up the problem? is my substitution for x^3 correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2015 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The usual way to do this is to use the Extended Euclidean Algorithm to explicitly write Bezout's identity. gcd(h,r)=a*h+b*r. Then mod both sides by h. Does that sound familiar? It is kind of a tedious calculation and it's easy to make a mistake. What did you do with t^4?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted