Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding inverse of a matrix and solving given equations.

1. May 14, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Finding inverse of a matrix and solving given equations.

Hi,

I have a quiz tomorrow and I am looking at the sample quiz right now but I don't understand how the answers work!

Here is the question:

Find the inverse of the matrix A=

-1 3 3
    -2 1 2
    0 1 1

Hence solve the following systems of equations:

-x1 + 3x2 + 3x3 = 5
    -2x1 + x2 + 2x3 = 2
    x2 + x3 = 1

and

-x + 3z = -5
    2x - y - 4z = 2
    -2x + y + 5z = -1

The answer says the inverse of A
    -1 0 3
    2 -1 -4
    -2 1 5

Then it spells out how to solve the equations but the is the part that confuses me:

"The first system of equations corresponds to the matrix equation A
    [x1 = [5
    x2 = 2
    x3 ] = 1]

Therefore, as A is invertible (i.e. A-1 exists),

[x1
    x2
    x3]

=A inverse of

[5
    1]

which =

[-1 0 3 [5 [-2
    2 -1 -4 2 = 4
    -2 1 5 ] 1] -3 ]

So x1 = -2, x2 = 4, x3 = -3.

Can someone please explain how they just did that because I really can't understand where they derive -2, 4 , 3 from and what they do with [5, 2 ,1]

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So you've got this matrix [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc} -1 & 3 & 3 \\
    -2&1&2 \\
    0&1&1
    \end{array}\right) [/tex] and you set of equations.

The first thing to note is that your equations are equal to [tex]\left(\begin{array}{ccc} -1 & 3 & 3 \\-2&1&2 \\ 0&1&1 \end{array}\right) \left(\begin{array}{c}x_1 \\ x_2 \\ x_3 \end{array}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{c}5\\2\\1\end{array}\right) [/tex].

So, in order to find (x1,x2,x3)T you need to multiply the equation on the left by the inverse of A. This will give (x1,x2,x3)T= something.. where you can calculate the "something" by matrix algebra.

4. May 14, 2008 #3
    So how would I know that I have to multiply the left by the inverse of A to find the answer? Is there some basic principle or law that I am unaware of?

5. May 14, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, yes. The easiest way to solve the equation Ax=b (for a matrix A and vectors x and b) is to try and get x on it's own, no? Now, you know that [itex]AA^{-1}=A^{-1}A=I[/itex], so you know that multiplying the equation by A inverse will leave you with [itex]x=A^{-1}b[/itex], from which you can read off values for x.

6. May 14, 2008 #5
    Its so hard to put all these number and boxes back into simple ax = b and again rearrange. Thanks cristo for your help!

7. May 14, 2008 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No worries

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook