Finding Lebesgue Decomposition for a Measure Defined by an Integral

• MHB
  • Thread starter joypav
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Section
In summary: So in summary, we have two problems from Royden's Real Analysis that involve measure spaces and the Radon-Nikodym theorem. In the first problem, we are asked to show that a given sequence of measures on a measurable space is a measure itself, and to prove that each of the measures in the sequence is absolutely continuous with respect to the new measure. This involves using properties of measures and proving that the given sequence satisfies the definition of a measure.In the second problem, we are asked to find the Lebesgue decomposition of a given measure with respect to another measure. This involves understanding the concept of absolutely continuous measures and using the fact that the given measure is absolutely continuous with respect to the other. Additionally, we must show
joypav
These are both problems from Royden's Real Analysis. Trying to get through the problems from the Radon-Nikodym Theorem section of the book.

Problem 1:
Let $(\mu_n)$ be a sequence of measures on a measurable space $(X, M)$ for which there is a constant $c>0$ such that $\mu_n(X)<c, \forall n$.
Define $\mu: M \rightarrow [0, \infty]$ by,

$\mu = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\mu_n}{2^n}$.

Show that $\mu$ is a measure on $M$ and that each $\mu_n$ is absolutely continuous with respect to $\mu$.

Solution:
Let $\lambda_n = \frac{\mu_n}{2^n}$.
Claim: $\lambda_n$ is a measure for every $n$
$\lambda_n(\emptyset) = \frac{\mu_n(\emptyset)}{2^n} = \frac{0}{2^n} = 0$

and

$\lambda_n(\cup_{i=1}^{\infty}A_i) = \frac{\mu_n(\cup_{i=1}^{\infty}A_i)}{2^n} = \frac{\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\mu_n(A_i)}{2^n} = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \frac{\mu_n(A_i)}{2^n} = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \lambda_n(A_i)$
$\implies \lambda_n$ is a measure for every $n$

Then,
$\mu = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \lambda_n$

$\lambda_n(\emptyset) = 0, \forall n \implies \mu(\emptyset) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \lambda_n(\emptyset) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} 0 = 0$

and

$\mu(\cup_{i=1}^{\infty} A_i) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \lambda_n(\cup_{i=1}^{\infty} A_i) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \lambda_n(A_i) = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \lambda_n(A_i) = \sum_{i=1}^{\infty} \mu(A_i)$
(I was thinking we could switch the order of the summations because each $\mu_n(A_i)<c$ so it's finite?)

I also need to show absolute continuity of each $\mu_n$ with respect to $\mu$.
For $A \in M$,
$\mu(A) = 0 \implies \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\mu_n(A)}{2^n} = 0 \implies \mu_n(A) = 0, \forall n$
Because if any are nonzero then the sum would be $>0$?

Problem 2:
Let $(X, M, \mu)$ be a measure space and $f$ a non-negative function that is integrable over $X$ with respect to $\mu$. Find the Lebesgue decomposition with respect to $\mu$ of the measure $\nu$ defined by

$\nu(E) = \int_{E} f d\mu$, for $E \in M$.

Alright... this problem I really have no idea about. I was thinking at first to split $f$ into its positive and negative parts, but $f$ is non-negative.

Also, isn't $f$ actually $\frac{d\nu}{d\mu}$?

Physics news on Phys.org
Interchanging double series of nonnegative terms is justified by the monotone convergence theorem applied the counting measure on $\Bbb N$. The condition $\mu_n(X) < c$ for each $n$ is unnecessary unless one is to show that $\mu$ is a finite positive measure on $X$.

For the second problem, it's true that $f = \frac{d\nu}{d\mu}$ a.e. $[\mu]$, but you can simply note $\nu << \mu$, so that the absolutely continuous part of $\nu$ with respect to $\mu$ is $\nu$ itself; $\nu$ has no singular part with respect to $\mu$.

Last edited:
Euge said:
Interchanging double series of nonnegative terms is justified by the monotone convergence theorem applied the counting measure on $\Bbb N$. The condition $\mu_n(X) < c$ for each $n$ is unnecessary unless one is to show that $\mu$ is a finite positive measure on $X$.

For the second problem, it's true that $f = \frac{d\nu}{d\mu}$ a.e. $[\mu]$, but you can simply note $\nu << \mu$, so that the absolutely continuous part of $\nu$ with respect to $\mu$ is $\mu$ itself; $\nu$ has no singular part with respect to $\mu$.

Ahh okay, then it is as simple as $\nu = \nu_1 + \nu_2$, where $\nu_1=\nu$ and $\nu_2 \equiv 0$?

Yes, that's correct.

1. What is the Royden, Radon-Nikodym Section?

The Royden, Radon-Nikodym Section is a mathematical concept in measure theory that deals with the relationship between two measures, specifically the absolute continuity of one measure with respect to another.

2. Who are Royden and Radon-Nikodym?

Henry Royden and Otto Radon-Nikodym were mathematicians who independently developed the concept of absolute continuity in measure theory in the early 20th century. Their work laid the foundation for the Royden, Radon-Nikodym Section.

3. What is absolute continuity?

Absolute continuity is a mathematical property that describes the relationship between two measures. It means that if one measure is equal to zero, then the other measure must also be equal to zero.

4. Why is the Royden, Radon-Nikodym Section important?

The Royden, Radon-Nikodym Section is important because it allows for the comparison and manipulation of measures, which is crucial in many areas of mathematics and science. It also has applications in probability theory, functional analysis, and other fields.

5. How is the Royden, Radon-Nikodym Section used in real-world applications?

The Royden, Radon-Nikodym Section has various applications in real-world scenarios, such as in economics, where it is used to measure the utility of goods and services. It is also used in statistics to compare different datasets and in physics to describe the relationship between different physical quantities.