Finding limits in differentiation from first principles

In summary: Proof of the Limit of Sin and Cosine from First Principles:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbvG3P3_B58In summary, using first principles, the author was able to find the limits of sin(ax) and cos(ax) as Δx tends to 0. They were able to do this using the fact that sin(aΔx)/Δx and cos(aΔx)/Δx are equal, and that tan(aΔx)/Δx is equal to Δx. They also found the limit of sin(ax) as Δx tends to 0 using the spooky proof mentioned in the article. Finally,
spaghetti3451

Homework Statement

Differentiate sin(ax), cos(ax) and tan(ax) from first principles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used first principles to differentiate the three expressions and have been successful until I encountered limits of some expressions in the process.

I need to find the limit as Δx tends to 0 of the following expressions.

1. sin(aΔx)/Δx
2. [cos(Δx) - 1]/Δx
3. tan(Δx)/Δx

I know some spooky proofs which use the fact that for small Δx, sin(aΔx) ≈ Δx, cos(aΔx) ≈ 1- (aΔx)2/2 and tan(aΔx) ≈ Δx. They do give the right answers and I have been told these methods would give me full marks in the exam (me being a physics student and all that crap!), but I would appreciate it if you give a full rigorous proof of the three limits. (Armed with those, the original problem is just a piece of cake.)

Physics news on Phys.org
hi failexam :smile:

(rsinθ)/rθ = arc-length/chord-length :wink:

failexam said:

Homework Statement

Differentiate sin(ax), cos(ax) and tan(ax) from first principles.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have used first principles to differentiate the three expressions and have been successful until I encountered limits of some expressions in the process.

I need to find the limit as Δx tends to 0 of the following expressions.

1. sin(aΔx)/Δx
2. [cos(Δx) - 1]/Δx
3. tan(Δx)/Δx

I know some spooky proofs which use the fact that for small Δx, sin(aΔx) ≈ Δx, cos(aΔx) ≈ 1- (aΔx)2/2 and tan(aΔx) ≈ Δx. They do give the right answers and I have been told these methods would give me full marks in the exam (me being a physics student and all that crap!), but I would appreciate it if you give a full rigorous proof of the three limits. (Armed with those, the original problem is just a piece of cake.)

Once you have [tex] \lim_{t \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin(t)}{t} = 1,[/tex]
getting
[tex] \frac{1 - \cos(t)}{t^2} \rightarrow \frac{1}{2} \text{ as } t \rightarrow 0[/tex] follows easily from [tex] \frac{\sin(t)^2}{t^2} = \frac{1 - \cos(t)^2}{t^2}
= \frac{1-\cos(t)}{t^2} (1+\cos(t)),[/tex] and the limit of [itex] \tan(t)/t[/itex] also follows. So, you need a good proof of [itex] \sin(t)/t \rightarrow 1.[/itex] You can find one in the Khan Academy video .

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the definition of a limit in differentiation from first principles?

A limit in differentiation from first principles refers to the value that a function approaches as the input variable approaches a certain value. It is the instantaneous rate of change or slope of the function at a specific point.

Why is it important to find limits in differentiation from first principles?

Finding limits in differentiation from first principles is important because it is the foundation of calculus and is used to calculate the derivatives of functions. It also helps in understanding the behavior of functions and solving real-world problems.

What is the process for finding limits in differentiation from first principles?

The process for finding limits in differentiation from first principles involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the input variable approaches zero. This is done by first finding the derivative of the function using the limit definition of a derivative.

What are the common challenges in finding limits in differentiation from first principles?

One of the common challenges in finding limits in differentiation from first principles is determining the appropriate value to use for the change in the input variable. This can also be a tedious and time-consuming process, especially for more complex functions.

Are there any shortcuts or alternative methods for finding limits in differentiation from first principles?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and alternative methods for finding limits in differentiation from first principles, such as using the properties of limits and L'Hopital's rule. However, these methods should only be used when the standard method is not feasible or when the function is too complex to use the standard method.