Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Differentiation from first principles

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    Hey guys, I've got the following 2 mark question on a problem sheet, but I can't seem able to do it. I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Differentiate, from first principles, the following:

[tex]y=\sqrt(a^2-x^2)[/tex]

I know I have to take the limit as δx tends to 0 of [(f(x+δx)- f(x)]/δx but can't seem to manipulate the resultant expression in any way to get closer to an answer. I have never used this Latex thingy before, so hopefully it comes out OK.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

There is no x in the formula for your function. Are a and b constants or are they variables? If a and b are constants, then the graph of your function is a horizontal line, making the derivative zero.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3
    Sorry, just a typo, [tex]b^2[/tex] should be [tex]x^2[/tex].

But a is just a constant yes.

5. Oct 29, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

As for Latex thingies, use curly brackets{} for the argument of the square root.

[tex]y=\sqrt{a^2-x^2}[/tex]

It is a good method to eliminate difference of square roots by multiplying and dividing with the sum of the same square roots.
    Write up the the expression (f(x+δx)-f(x))/δx with the square roots and you will see what I mean.

ehild

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    Thank you very much for that, my final answer of

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} =-\frac{x}{\sqrt{a^2-x^2}}[/tex]

Agrees with the answer obtained if you just differentiate 'normally'. Thanks again!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook