1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that Complex-differentiable functions are always Real-diff.

1. Feb 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"Show that Complex-differentiable functions are always Real-differetiable."

I missed the lecture where the proof of this was given and I'm trying to figure it out.

2. Relevant equations

Cauchy-Riemann, ux = vy, uy = -vx

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose a function f(z) = u + iv is C-differentiable, so it satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations everywhere. So ux = vy, uy = -vx at all points.

A function f(x,y) is R-differentiable if f(x,y) = f(x0,y0) + f(x0, y0)(x-x0)(y-y0) + O(Δx,Δy)
    and O is such that O(Δx,Δy)/(||(Δx,Δy)||) -> 0 as ||(Δx,Δy)|| -> 0.

Firstly, my notes are a bit sketchy so it's possible my definition of R-diff is wrong.

I'm not really sure how to use the C-R equations with this definition either. It's not as if I can just substitute some stuff in to get the required result...

Any hints/tips/suggestions?

Edit: Oh wait, I just realised I can apply to definition to R-diff to both u and v, since they're both functions of x and y. Will report back with where this leads.

Edit 2: That didn't really go anywhere. I realised I should be using the C-R equations to show that f satisfies the definition of R-diff.

I'm kind of lost.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Write down what it means that [itex]f[/itex] is differentiable as a complex function in the same way as you did for differentiability as a function [itex]f:\mathbb{R}^2 \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/itex]. Then express the differentiability criterion in the sense of a complex function in terms of the real and imaginary parts.

4. Feb 14, 2014 #3
    Okay, for f to be differentiable as a complex function means that the limit
    f'(z0) = lim, z->z0 [f(z) - f(z0)/(z - z0) exists.

This has led me to believe that the question is basically a fancy way of asking for the derivation of the C-R equations, or at least the first half of it.

Is that correct? I can express z, z0 in terms of x,y etc, and then just apply the conditions of R-differentiability to the real and imaginary parts, and I'll eventually just end up with the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted