1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding magnetic field component

1. Jul 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron has a velocity of 1.63×104 m/s (in the positive x direction) and an acceleration of 1.98×1012 m/s2 (in the positive z direction) in uniform electric and magnetic feilds. If the electric field has a magnitude of 19.8 N/C (in the positive z direction), what is the y component of the magnetic field in the region?

2. Relevant equations
    this I'm really not sure... but could lorentz force law be applied to this question?

F=q(E+vxB)

C^2= a^2+b^2??????

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm really sorry but I seem to really have no idea bout this one... heres what I thought but is wrong..

Since they give you the acceleration in the z direction, with it the force due to the movement of the electron can be found. (or does this not work because F=ma doesn't apply to electric forces?)

-then I thought maybe if I found the force then i can use Lorentz' equation to solve for B?

But because the question is asking for a y component i'm really stuck on how to relate the acceleration, velocity and E field into finding the magnetic field.

Can someone help push me towards the right direction for this question?? Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, lorentz force law. And F=ma applies to all forces. If you think about F=q*vxB you will realize that with v is the x direction that an x component of the magnetic field will contribute no acceleration and a z component will contribute only to the y acceleration. So the only two things contributing to z acceleration are y component of the magnetic field and the E field. Does that help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?