Finding Magnetic Field of Alpha Particle in a Circle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
howt
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



An alpha particle is moving at constant speed in a circle, perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field, making a revolution every 60 nanoseconds.
Its speed is non-relativistic

What is the numerical magnitude of the magnetic field in T ?


Homework Equations


alpha particle (2 protons + 2 neutrons)

We have here T= 2(pi)m / qB

in which
m=Mass (alpha particle= 6.64*10^-27) kg
q=Charge = 2(1.6*10^-19) C
T= (60*10^-9) s

The Attempt at a Solution



This should be just plugging in, I got 2.1729, yet it is wrong...
Why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
it is not given...

I don't think we need it to solve the question
The formula of it doesn't involve any radius...
 
howt said:
it is not given...

I don't think we need it to solve the question
The formula of it doesn't involve any radius...
When the alpha particle is moving ina circle, what is the force acting on it?
What is the force on alpha particle due to the magnetic field?
 
The Centripetal force is going to equal the magnetic force.

Note that w = v/r

Centripetal force , F=m v^2 /r..
=m r w^2

And the magnetic force on the alpha particle is, F = B q v
= B q w r

m r w^2 = B q w r
m w = B q

in which w= 2(pi) / T

Thus T= 2(pi)m / qB
 
Thanks, the problem might be those constant...

Side Note: I just realize I got a typo on the topic... crap