Finding mass of an object on a spring, given Frequency

In summary, by using the equations f = (1/2pi)*(k/m)^1/2 and m = k/(2pi*f)^2, the mass m was calculated to be incorrect after adding an additional 730 g mass to the end of a spring. Upon further attempts, the correct answer was obtained.
Zach_Sch

Homework Statement

A mass m at the end of a spring oscillates with a frequency of 0.84 Hz . When an additional 730 g mass is added to m, the frequency is 0.65 Hz .

Homework Equations

f*2pi = w
w = (k/m)^1/2
f = (1/2pi)*(k/m)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply used the third equation twice, rearranging to the following:
m = k/(2pi*f)^2
using this equation two different times I ended up with:
m = k / (2pi*.84)^2
m + .73 = k / (2pi*.65)^2
I solved the above equations for m and came out with the wrong answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance : )

Physics news on Phys.org
Zach_Sch said:

Homework Statement

A mass m at the end of a spring oscillates with a frequency of 0.84 Hz . When an additional 730 g mass is added to m, the frequency is 0.65 Hz .

Homework Equations

f*2pi = w
w = (k/m)^1/2
f = (1/2pi)*(k/m)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply used the third equation twice, rearranging to the following:
m = k/(2pi*f)^2
using this equation two different times I ended up with:
m = k / (2pi*.84)^2
m + .73 = k / (2pi*.65)^2
I solved the above equations for m and came out with the wrong answer.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance : )
Can you show your math at the end where you solve the two equations for m? That may help us spot any errors... :smile:

berkeman said:
Can you show your math at the end where you solve the two equations for m? That may help us spot any errors... :smile:
Haha, so I attempted to solve my systems of equations three different times and got a very large negative mass, I just attempted it again and got the correct answer.
Sorry about that ... cheers

Likes berkeman

1. What is the equation for finding the mass of an object on a spring given the frequency?

The equation for finding the mass of an object on a spring is m = (4π²k)/f², where m is the mass, k is the spring constant, and f is the frequency.

2. How do you determine the spring constant in this equation?

The spring constant can be determined experimentally by measuring the displacement of the spring and the corresponding force applied to it. The spring constant is equal to the force divided by the displacement.

3. Can this equation be used for any type of spring?

Yes, this equation can be used for any type of spring as long as the spring constant is known.

4. What are the units for mass and frequency in this equation?

The units for mass are typically measured in kilograms (kg) and the units for frequency are measured in hertz (Hz).

5. How accurate is this equation in determining the mass of an object on a spring?

This equation is accurate as long as the spring is ideal and the mass is not too heavy, causing the spring to deform significantly. Other factors such as air resistance and friction may also affect the accuracy of the results.