Finding mass of ions in magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 5K views
s-f
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
A device is used to measure the charge-to-mass ratio (e/m) of ions by accelerating them using an electric field described by a potential difference , and once they have acquired kinetic energy of known amount, they enter a uniform magnetic field. The particles move in a plane perpendicular to the magnetic field. What is the mass of the ion that enters the detector?

Strength of magnetic field = 0.8 T
d = 6.00 cm
ΔV = 100 V
Ion charge = 1.6 x 10^-19 C

I'm not really sure how to set up an equation here. I tried using qΔV = 1/2 mv2 and F = ma = qvB sin theta to solve it but I couldn't figure out how to solve for m here. Is there another formula I should use?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems some information is missing. What is d? A sketch of the setup would help, too.
 
From your first equation you can write v^2 = qV/m.
In the magnetic field the path is circular so Bqv = mv^2/r
You can combine these equations to give m = B^2xqxr^2/2V
Can you see how to do that?
If d in your question is the DIAMETER of the path in the magnetic field you should be able to solve it.
Have a go and come back if you get stuck.
 
Sorry this is the image https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=d3e9366f37&view=att&th=138f2cfebf63fad8&attid=0.1&disp=inline&realattid=1409394640159768576-1&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P-_1Tbsc3zXwuOtwk13kB5g&sadet=1344103689147&sads=0rBGq4MW_H8NzAdDPKWjvF6cP-g

@truesearch - No I didn't get that equation at all when I tried to do it. Can you explain how you came up with that? I know it's correct because I plugged in the variables and it came out to 4.6 x 10^-25 kg which is the correct answer.
 
Last edited:
2012-08-04_14-03-38_594.jpg


Hopefully you can click to make it bigger. Truesearch is right that d is the diameter and that the magnetic field in the path is circular.
 
What is the force acting on a charge in magnetic fields? What is the acceleration in uniform circular motion?
 
Here is what I tried to do originally:

F = qvB = ma
Since a = v2r, qvB = m(v2r)

qΔV = 1/2 mv2, so v = sqrt (2ΔV)/m. I tried to plug this in as v for the previous equation but I must have messed up algebraically because I did not get the final equation Truesearch posted earlier.
 
s-f said:
Since a = v2r

This is not the correct formula for acceleration in uniform circular motion!
 
voko said:
This is not the correct formula for acceleration in uniform circular motion!
You're right; I typed it wrong. I was using a = v2/r though which I think it correct?
 
From kinetic energy, you get [itex]v^2 = \frac {2 q V} {m}[/itex]. Plug that into the [itex]F = ma[/itex] formula and you should get what you need.
 
Hmm I still think I'm fudging the algebra (terrible at math). I ended up getting:

m = qBr/sqrt (2qV/m) :confused:
 
Still not getting m = B^2xqxr^2/2V or 4.6 x 10^-25. I ended up not getting q in my numerator which makes no sense.
 
You wrote [tex]m = \frac {q B r} {\sqrt {\frac {2 q V} {m}}}[/tex]

Squared, that becomes [tex]m^2 = \frac {q^2 B^2 r^2} {\frac {2 q V} {m}} = m \frac {q B^2 r^2} {2 V}[/tex]

You really should have more algebraic practice, these are very simple transformations, things can get much worse.
 
Ok I see, I was making a dumb mistake in the last step - thanks for explain that part.

And yeah I know I'm awful at math but this is the only physics class I need to take to finish high school and it's over in a week :) Not planning on doing physics in college!